ZScaler Certificate Installation Instructions
ZScaler is the Internet content filtering solution used in the Stokes County School District for all users accessing the Internet inside our District or from District owned devices, used off-site. All users are required to authenticate to the content filter system to gain access to the Internet. Guest Presenters to the Stokes County School District may obtain a day-use username and password from the Technology Department, upon request. Please see your site Media Coordinator or Principal to submit guest access request.
Domain Joined Devices (Windows Desktop & Laptop computers) owned by Stokes County School District
NO USER ACTION NEEDED FOR DOMAIN JOINED DEVICES. Your ZScaler certificate and authentication cookie will automatically push down to your workstation, when you log into the CO domain. This is an automated process that occur's at login. You will NOT need to manually install the certificate to any District owned, domain joined computer. You will be prompted to login to the ZScaler login screen the first time you access the Internet, only once, from each new computer that you login to.
You will login to ZScaler using your Stokes County Domain user credentials as follows: email@example.com
When prompted for your password, you will enter the domain password (password that you use to login to the network at your school).
Personally Owned Devices
Personally owned devices are also required to authenticate to the ZScaler Content Filter, to gain access to the Internet. Users will be required to download and install the ZScaler root security certificate. This certificate is installed so that your Internet traffic can be securely transmitted. No data is collected from your computer, and no software or off-site monitoring capabilities are ever installed on personally-owned devices.
Before you install the certificate, you will need to download it to your computer. If you are using a Windows or Mac computer, save the file to your Desktop so that you'll be able to locate it later. Please refer to the installation instructions below, depending on your OS platform.
Below are the Instructions for manually installing the ZScaler Certificates to various Operating System platforms and Web Browsers for personally owned devices brought into our network.
Windows OS, using Internet Explorer web browser
Download all the ZScaler Certificate and save to your location choice (desktop, flash drive, etc).
Open Internet Explorer.
From Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu, select Internet Options, and then in the window that appears switch to the Content tab and click the "Certificates" button.
To install the certificate go to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities tab and click the "Import..." button.
In the Certificate Import Wizard window that appears click the "Next button.
To select the file, press the "Browse..." button.
Find the saved certificate file (desktop, flash drive, etc.) and click the "Open" button..."Next", "Finish".
The first time you open an Internet Page, you will receive a prompt from the Z-Scaler Web filter requesting that you authenticate. You will enter your Stokes Domain Username: firstname.lastname@example.org (This will be the same "format syntax" as your email address.)
Google Chrome Web Browser Users: The Chrome web browser pulls its certificate configuration from Internet Explorer, therefore no further action is required. Once the Certificate is installed successfully to Internet Explorer, Google Chrome will also work with the ZScaler Content Filter.
Mac OS X (MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini, etc.)
- Download ZScaler Certificate.
- Double-Click files and depending on your version of OS X, the "Keychain" window will open, where you will install the ZScaler Certificates.
- Alternately, double-click the files.....in the "Add Certificates" window, select "System" under "Keychain"....click "Add".
- Enter your password.
- If prompted, select "Always Trust This Certificate".
iOS (iPad, iPod, iPhone)
You will need to perform these tasks through the Safari mobile web browser.
- Click the link to download the file.
- Click "Install".
- Click "Install Now".
- If you have a passcode on your iPad, you will need to enter it when prompted.
- Click the link to download the ZScaler certificate.
- Android will ask you what to name each certificate. Provide a name for the certificate (example: ZS2048)
- Click OK. The certificate will be installed.
- Download the ZScaler certificate to USB flash drive or it will automatically save to the downloads folder on the Chromebook.
- Open Settings from the Chromebook browser’s menu.
- Select Show advanced settings.
- Find HTTPS/SSL and click Manage certificates.
- Select Authorities.
- Scroll down and click Import.
- Choose the certificate from the location that it was saved to and click Open.
- Select “Trust this certificate for identifying websites.
- Click OK to finish the process.
- Close all dialogue boxes.
- **If using a managed Chromebook owned by Stokes County School District, the ZScaler certificate is automatically pushed to these devices via the GSuite management console.