Second semester has started and students are adjusting well to their new schedules. Be sure to email me or call me if you have any questions about your son or daughter's educational experience at Southeast Warren Jr.-Sr. High School.
The goal of the special education program is to help students build upon the skills they already have and learn new skill sets to help them prepare for life after high school. Students learn how to assess their strengths and weaknesses, and develop goals to build skills in areas such as; reading, writing, math, communication, employment, motivation, perseverance, and many more. I look forward to working with all of you to discover and work toward your long-term and short-term goals.
Tips for Success
- Keep going no matter what- don't give up. If you can persevere through school and other difficult life situations, you will be more successful after high school.
- Learn to find a way to be at peace with tasks you do not enjoy. You will have to do them regardless of your attitude, so it is best to do them with a good attitude versus a bad attitude.
- If you are struggling in a class, please let me or your other teachers help you devise a solution.
- Keep a planner and look at it often. This does not have to be a paper planner. If you have a phone, I can show you apps to help you create checklists. I can also give you pointers on how to organize your life.
What is Success?
Many people believe success is tied to excellent grades in high school and large paychecks after high school. Some of the most content and happy people I know are not rich. The happiest people I know understand these things about life:
- Life is not easy.
- It is important to be thankful for what you have on a daily basis. There is always something to be thankful for. If you are struggling with being thankful, ask me to help you point out areas of your life or school life in which you are doing well. Then you can be thankful you are so talented!
- People are not perfect. If you expect people to excuse your bad days, then you need to excuse others' bad days. People make mistakes: many, many, mistakes, and they make them often. Forgive people. It will make you a happier and less resentful person.
- It is necessary to care about other people. When you genuinely care about others, people will genuinely care about you. Disclaimer: not everyone will like you, and that is okay.