Resources‎ > ‎

Study Overseas

Points to note when applying for a study programme outside Hong Kong
(Source: EDB Life Planning Website - Non Local Study)
  1. To conduct information search prior to making decisions on further education outside Hong Kong;
  2. To be cautious when making applications, especially if the proceedings involve depositing a large down-payment as registration or tuition fees;
  3. To consult respective Consulates or Commissions of the countries concerned and non-profit-making organisations, with regard to the standing of the institutions in which you wish to study before making application for admission;
  4. To find out whether you will be at liberty to move to another institution in the same country should you so wish, and in what circumstances any fees paid would be refundable; and
  5. To note that the only organisations authorised to provide immigration facilities for entry to countries outside Hong Kong are the respective immigration services or Consulates in Hong Kong.

Recognition of Non-local Qualifications
(Source: EDB Life Planning Website - Non Local Study)

Recognition of non-local qualifications awarded by granting institutions outside Hong Kong for study, employment or registration in Hong Kong is at the discretion of the relevant education institutions, employers or organisations.  The Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) provides assessment services on qualifications awarded by granting bodies outside Hong Kong by offering a professional opinion on whether the totality of the educational qualifications (i.e. the integrated learning outcomes of the highest and terminal educational qualification) of an individual meets the standard of a particular level of qualification in Hong Kong.  Students who wish to further their study outside Hong Kong should take due account of the learning outcomes and quality of delivery of the educational programmes concerned which are key assessment criteria in the qualifications assessment conducted by HKCAAVQ. 
To promote co-operation between the Mainland and Hong Kong in education and student exchanges, a Memorandum of Understanding between the Mainland and Hong Kong on Mutual Recognition of Academic Degrees in Higher Education (MoU) was signed between the Ministry of Education and the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in July 2004.  The MoU facilitates the mutual recognition of academic qualifications awarded in both places for the purpose of further studies in recognised Mainland and Hong Kong higher education institutions with powers to award degrees at Bachelor's level or above.  The list of recognised higher education institutions in both places are attached as Annex to the MoU and updated regularly.  The MoU is the only of its type covering mutual recognition of academic degrees in higher education that has been signed by Hong Kong and another place so far.

Useful Links