Welcome to the website of the Hanover High School Council! The Council was founded during the 1973-74 school year and was endorsed in 1977 by the Dresden School Board. Currently, it is made up of over 40 students, staff and community members. The Council is one of three governmental bodies that make decisions at the high school, along with the Administration and the Judiciary Committee. For more information about Council's operation, please go to the Downloads page to view the latest version of the Council bylaws or click here.

Otherwise, this website is a resource for committee information, member information, important documents and lists of motions that have recently been either passed or failed by Council. Please feel free to explore this website, and if you have any comments, suggestions or the like, please see the Contact page to let us know.

Council meets in the Chorus/Orchestra Room from 10:15am-11:00am on Wednesdays.

Click here to see a video of Council in action at our meeting of March 8th, 2017.



AGENDA - 6.7.17

1. Approval of Minutes

2. Reports 

3. Council Retreat Information

4. 2017/18 Co-curricular Budget

5. Staff of the Year Money Allocation

6. Homework Accommodation Motion for Observant Students

7. Goal Setting

8. Notes and New Business


2017-2018 Council Leadership

Aisling Kelly ('18) - Moderator
Jasper Meyer ('18) - Assistant Moderator
Colm Seigne ('19) - Co-Treasurer
Max Taxman ('18) - Co-Treasurer
Catherine Han ('18) - Secretary
Perrin Milliken ('18) - Dresden School Board Representative
Henry Kahl ('18) - Public Relations Person

  • Minutes 5.31.17/Agenda 6.7.17

    Agenda 6.7.17

    1. Approval of Minutes

    2. Reports

    3. Council Retreat Information (August 28, late afternoon)

    4. 2017/18 Co-curricular Budget

    5. Staff of the Year Money Allocation

    6. Homework Accommodation Motion for Observant Students

    7. Goal Setting

    8. Notes and New Business

     

    Council Minutes 5.31.17

    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” -Benjamin Franklin

     

    1. Approval of Minutes

    2. Reports

      • Moderator: Welcome New Council!

      • A-Mod: No standing committees yet. Will have them at the beginning of next year. Ad-hoc committees can be meeting, standing committees can continue to meet.

      • Treasurer: Council Fund: $7,194.23. $400 not taken out for checks yet, will go down over the summer. Co-curricular Fund: $0. Supposed to get $13,500 over summer.

      • Secretary: No alternates can vote.

      • SAC: Finishing up budget. Will bring next week.

      • Service: Worked with Administration to bring Revised Community Service Graduation Requirement Motion

      • Observances: Bringing a new motion.  

    3. Club of the Year Money Allocation

    “I move to allocate up to $75 for the winner of the club of the year award to be presented at the underclassmen award ceremony.”

    • Every year club of the year award given to do something festive. Up to $75  to make sure there is enough.

    • Award decided by Leadership and Exec based on participation, outreach, fundraising, student contribution.

    • Motion Passes

    1. Revised Community Service Graduation Requirement Motion

    • Main difference is no Common Ground tracking involved. All tracking will be done by Service Ad-hoc committee. Mr. Campbell thinks this is a better way so everything is in one place. Additionally, because next year will be a pilot year, will be a good group of students and staff on Service Ad-Hoc committee which will include Youth-in-Action director and Council Exec. Unofficially appointed Council Exec as person to fall back on. Clarified roll-over of hours that was implied but not said explicitly. Forms being collected and distributed at Main Office, also available online.

    • Some staff concerned about 10 hour requirement instead of 5 hours.

      • Mr. Campbell feels comfortable with 10 hours for next year, but would not be difficult to change for the year after.

    • Process is detrimental for students who procrastinate until senior year.

    • Not in job description for Youth-in-Action director because motion not passed yet, but is not difficult to formally change in job description for Youth-in-Action director.

    • Seniors who have not completed requirements will be able to walk at graduation but will not receive diploma until hours are completed which can be done over the summer.

    • Changes will be communicated to student body through writing drafted from Mr. Campbell from Administration and Council to all students and parents, talking about students about summer opportunities to complete requirement, etc.

    • Foresee possible change so coaches whose teams do service could sign off on hours in the future.

    • Participation in clubs and activities does not count as service unless it is directly benefitting people outside of the club.

    • A not fully enrolled student is someone who goes to semester school, does not attend the full 180 days of attendance, homeschooled, etc. is not responsible for requirement.

    • Would be beneficial to send information to 8th graders who may not be know about motion.

    • “I move to amend the motion to change ‘10’ to ‘5’ in all cases of the motion.”

      • A number of staff members think purpose of motion should be to allow students to experiment with community service. 5 hours makes task less onerous and allows students to have more positive attitude.

      • With amendment, will not need to provide in-class community service in school.

      • Have debated motion in Council for long time, and it should stay 10 hours.

      • 5 hours may be a good strategic move in the short-term move. Staff and students are reluctant about 10 hours.

      • 5 hours can be be done in 1 day, but it is important to do community service more than once in the year to gain more community service experience. Community service needs to be integrated into school. Difficult to find something one is passionate about in smaller amount of time.

      • Adults do not completely recognize that there is a divide in the school. Staff will need to step out of boxes and will need to find ways to engage students.

      • Initial concerns about motion from student body were not about hours, but about the spirit of the motion.

      • Amendment Fails

    • Motion Passes

    1. Meeting Adjourns

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Posted Jun 6, 2017, 5:28 PM by HHS Council
Showing posts 1 - 1 of 105. View more »
Attendance for Council Meetings
To see committee attendance, please visit the committee pages

Council Attendance 16-17




Council Roll Call Record
For more information, visit the Motions Page

Roll Call Records ‎(2016-2017)‎




Maintained by:
 Catherine Han, Secretary 

If you have questions please contact:
hhs-council@hanovernorwichschools.org
catherinehan@hanovernorwichschools.org