Health Services Available
model of nursing services in Steven's Elementary and Dawson-Boyd High School uses a full time registered nurse who
serves in the health office performing health office clerical functions,
first aid and episodic care (caring for ill and injured students), medication administration as well as the below functions. The
school nurse works with families, students and staff to promote a
healthy and safe environment.
| Functions of the School Nurse:|
- Coordinate, organize and manage all health services provided in the school district.
- Develop a system of first aid, illness, management, medication
administration, emergency care and health related procedures.
- Assess and plan for students with health issues including training to teaching staff.
- Provide nursing care and care coordination for students with complex or chronic health needs.
care for students with mental health issues or severe mental illness
that requires medical management and ongoing communication with school
staff, health care providers and families.
- Participate as part of special education team, providing nursing services as needed.
and provide screen for health problems that impact a student’s ability
to learn (asthma, ADHD, vision, hearing, scoliosis) do follow-up with
- Serve as resource to staff, students, families
regarding health concerns and health education and connect with
resources in the community as needed.
- Coordinate prevention and control of communicable diseases.
- Provide immediate first aid and comfort to injured students.
- Provide care to students who become ill or have health concerns during the school day.
- Maintain documentation of immunizations and other health records.
- Administer medications and provide routine nursing care for students according to physician’s orders and parent/guardian requests.
Bachelors of Science degree in Nursing • Licensed through Board of Nursing as Registered Nurse
Certified in CPR/First Aid