Walsh Middle School is part of a vibrant VEX Roboticscommunity. Walsh has an after school robotics club with competitive teams called WalshBots that is run on Tuesdays. Robotics is also being integrated into 8th grade TechEd offering. Now in its third year, the WalshBots compete at Qunisigamond Community College against three dozen middle school regional teams. In its first two season, the WalshBots have qualified three times to compete at the VEX World Championships against teams from around the globe. January 21, 2017 event slide show
The results in 2013-2014:
- 6th Grade Team:
- QCC Massachusetts State Tossup Competition 1/11/14
- Tournament Championship
- 8th Grade Team:
- QCC VEX Toss Up Qualifier 2/8/14
- Tournament Champions
- Design Award
- New England Regional Middle School Toss Up Competition
- Excellence Award
- Programming Skills Award
- Tournament Finalists
The 8th grade team earned a spot at the VEX World Championship in Anaheim California where they competed against teams from all around the globe.
Robotics at Walsh Middle School has been made possible by generous support from:
- Quinsigamond Community College through their K12 STEM Outreach programs supported by EMC, Santander, and tireless efforts Prof. Betty Lauer and her team.
- Retirees School Volunteers Association - in addition to grants to Framingham Robotics clubs, Walsh is fortunate to have dedicated volunteers: Mel Weinzimer, Walter Caughy Richard Serwetman.
- Raytheon Company - Walsh has benefited from generous grants from Raytheon IDS.
- Framingham Education Foundation provided a grant to acquire a robotics competition field so Framingham can host in-town competitions, greatly increasing the number of students that can participate in robotics competitions.