1. 96% of our nation’s astronauts performed in the fine arts during their school years, including Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon. Mr. Armstrong was a talented euphonium player in middle and high school band.
2. National Association of Secondary School Principals reports 66% of all college freshmen drop out after the 1st year. In contrast, 96% of band students graduate from Universities.
3. American Medical Association states that the #1 admittance to medical schools are students that majored in music as undergraduates. Pre-med majors are #2.
5. Admission criteria into most major universities put at the top of the list, commitment through the senior year to an extra-curricular activity.
6. Companies like Google, Amazon, and Microsoft have all stated that when they are looking for potential hires they look for diverse backgrounds in the arts and creative fields over people that have no creative backgrounds.
7. Band teaches discipline and the love of hard work. Band is not for the lazy! It requires years of practice and self discipline, but the payoff is immense!
8. Band is one of the largest organizations in Yukon Public Schools with over 600 students across our entire program.
9. Band is about much more than just learning how to play an instrument. It's about learning how to work with others and develop social bonds to achieve a common goal.
10. You don't have to already know how to read music, or have a natural ability to play instruments. We will always work to have every student achieve success and experience growth if they are willing to put in the work required!
Students in the Yukon Band Program will begin in classes that meet everyday with like instruments. We start in the fall with Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, and Percussion classes. In the second half of the 6th grade year we will have students that are selected to opt for other specialist instruments such as the Oboe, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Alto Saxophone, French Horn, Euphonium, and Tuba.
Students in our program don't need to worry about only selecting one elective!! We are fortunate in Yukon that our students are always able to perform in multiple activities such as football, basketball, track and field, choir, drama, speech and debate, etc.
There is little out of school time commitment in sixth grade. We generally have 2 concerts in the sixth grade year, and no after school rehearsals or practices.
The Yukon Band Program is one of the largest activities at Yukon Middle School and High School with over 600 students across our entire program!
Click on an image to learn more!