Tapestry of Technology
Thank you for visiting the website for Annette Slone,
k-4 Technology Teacher and Coach for the York School Department.
It is up to us, you and me, to take the best pieces of the world, and of education, and make them our reality. So on this site, you'll find some content of my own, but also links and resources from the outside world. Amazing developments happen every day! Let's learn from them! Partner with me as we personalize the educational experience for York students. Let's give them a voice and offer them choice. Let's teach them that passions are worth pursuing and that they matter to the world around them. Let's always strive to be better FOR our students and WITH our students. Our future starts today.
My Goals This Year:
- Promote opportunities for students to be creators.
- There are so many ways for students to demonstrate learning. They should have plenty of opportunities to choose HOW they demonstrate mastery, and choices should include methods that allow for creative license.
- I'll be working in conjunction with our Literacy Coaches to add a technology slant to the writing celebrations that happen at the end of each Lucy Calkins writing unit.
- "Maker" education continues to be at the forefront of discussions regarding best practice in innovative schools. York is privileged to have administrators who embrace the Maker Movement. Spreading the Maker Mindset throughout the York School Department is one of my top priorities. I continue to support Village Elementary by promoting a Maker Mindset and providing ideas and assistance for incorporating a maker approach into the classroom and MakerSpace. At Coastal Ridge Elementary, those same goals apply as I work with staff as the library transitions into a Learning Commons, complete with its own MakerSpace.
- Enable students to have a voice that is heard by an authentic audience.
- A beautiful thing about the internet is that now an audience is just a click away. Students no longer just write for their teachers and parents, but for the rest of the world to hear. I support the use of social media and blogging, amongst other options, to excite students about writing. New this year, the Student Innovation Team at Coastal Ridge will blog each week to keep our community informed about our work and to demonstrate the benefits of having an authentic audience.
- The CRES Chronicle, a new format for news at Coastal Ridge, is the perfect way for voices to be heard. Working in conjunction with our librarians, I provide support to students and teachers as they create news stories in various formats and share them with our community.
This space to be filled with pictures and examples of how York is using technology during the 2016-2017 school year.