We are excited to announce that the HMS Library will be open on select Wednesdays throughout the summer!!!
Merry Stuhr, HMS Librarian, and Tracy Weinrich, Library Ed. Tech., will share the honor of opening the library on select Wednesday afternoons from 2:00 - 4:00. This means that our students will have one more source for great books, in addition to the wonderful Merrill Memorial Library.
In an effort to make this fun, yet somewhat structured, we have developed the following guidelines:
- The HMS Library summer session will be *exclusively* for HMS students -- including 8th grade students who are moving to high school in the fall. If the student WILL BE in 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th grade this fall -- in the Yarmouth School District -- then she/he is welcome to visit us over the summer!
- The library will be a “KIDS ONLY” space (see #1, above, for guidelines), to make a safe, fun place for them to hang out this summer. If parents, siblings, etc., want to visit a library together, we encourage visits to the Merrill Memorial Library.
- All regular school rules will apply (including cell phone use). As long as the rules are followed, the student is welcome to stay for the entire time.
- We’ll have an OPEN DOOR POLICY (students may come whenever we’re open; however, if they leave they cannot come back that same day).
- Speaking of doors.....the ONLY door that students may use to enter and leave the building is the FRONT DOOR by the main office of HMS. (The rest of the building will be off-limits to us.)
- The HMS Library will be supervised, providing a SAFE PLACE for students using the space. (Sorry, but we cannot be responsible for students once they leave.)
- We’ll be here until 4:00 on the Wednesdays that we’re open. (If you are picking up your child, please be here by then.)
- Books will be checked out for our normal two-week period.
- Books may be returned to the HMS main office any time it’s open; however, books may only be checked out during open hours of the HMS Library.
Please be respectful of due dates. Since books may be returned to the office nearly every single weekday (even when the library isn’t open), this should be easy, right? If your child will be at camp or your family will be gone for a week or more, please return library books to the front office before leaving.
• Students will have an additional source (us!) for great books over the summer. We want to keep fueling the passion they have for reading!
• New books with summer release dates will be available to HMS Library users over the summer!
• We are air conditioned!