Jr/Sr High School Handbook
“Excellence in Education”
Dear Student and Parent/Guardian:
This handbook has been prepared for the benefit of all parents/ guardians and students. It is designed with one purpose in mind: to improve communication between home and school. Students will do better if we work together in the spirit of cooperation.
Westwood Regional Jr./Sr. High School is committed to the pursuit of “excellence in education.” A group of people bound together in pursuit of educational excellence must set down in writing the policies, rules, and procedures which will bind them together as a community. This handbook represents a balance between individual rights and the school’s responsibilities as an educational institution. Other materials that may be of assistance to make this school year a success may be found on the school’s website.
It is the hope of the administration and staff that the student body recognizes and understands the importance of the information contained in this handbook. It has been prepared to supply the students of Westwood Regional Jr./Sr. High School with a thorough overview of the school, its policies, and expectations. Please read this document carefully and keep it handy for future reference.
“To provide excellence in education through rich and diverse learning opportunities, enabling students to exercise intelligent control of their future.”
The vision of Westwood Regional Jr./Sr. High School, serving the diverse communities of the Borough of Westwood and the Township of Washington, is to provide a sound and comprehensive education. This education process will ensure that our students have the knowledge, skills, and experiences which will enable them to make future life choices. It is our long-term goal that each student will use this knowledge, these skills and these experiences to reach his/her potential and thus become an actively contributing, productive member of the global community.
The Westwood Regional Jr./Sr. High School staff believes that:
- Children are our community’s most valuable asset and we value each individual child.
- All students have the right to a safe, positive, learning environment where diversity and individuality are respected and appreciated.
- Each student’s individual learning styles and needs shall be addressed.
- Students shall be empowered to be productive, organized, responsible, and self-directed individuals.
- Our school shall inspire pride, accomplishment, and growth in all students.
- Physical and mental well-being contributes to student success.
- Students shall be encouraged to become lifelong learners.
- A sound and comprehensive education produces literate individuals who are effective problem solvers, critical thinkers, and users of technology.
- Our school has a responsibility to instill an awareness and appreciation of the global community and environment.
- Education is the shared responsibility of the students, faculty, staff, Board of Education, family, community, and government.