- If you have not already done so, please get permission slips for upcoming field trips completed and turned in--with payment (cash only)--as soon as possible (no later than 2/26).
- Our Pennies for Patients campaign begins this week. We will be participating in a variety of fundraising activities over the next two weeks to help raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, an organization that works tirelessly in pursuit of a cure for blood cancers, especially in children. As some of you may already know, my husband and I have both battled cancer (me twice). We are both in remission and are so grateful and blessed to be "survivors". I know first-hand the devastation that a cancer diagnosis (as well as its aftermath) brings on a family. As a mother, I could not imagine watching one of my children go through what my husband and I went through which makes this such a worthy cause for me. Our classroom goal is $240 which for us means about $10.00 per student. I will talk to the kids this week about ways that they could potentially "earn" a little extra cash by doing chores if this is something you are open to having them perform (i.e., a dime for sweeping the floor, a quarter for making their beds all week, etc.). This week's activities include:
- Paying a dollar to bring a stuffed animal to school (Wednesday)
- Parents clean your console-donate change before school-carpool lane (Thursday)
- “Be a Champion for Change”--sports dress up day (Friday)
- We continue our study of Innovators and Inventors. Next week the students will be working on a project where they will be creating an idea for an "app" to solve a current problem and bringing it to the "Shark Tank". Depending on time, I may also have them go through the process of "building" an actual invention in small groups. I will keep you posted as I may ask for parent help.
- Please remember that, although we usually complete our math page in class each day, it is important that you go over the material with your child nightly and sign the sheet acknowledging that you have done so. Your child should be able to tell you specifically how they solved the problems and came to their answers. Having the students explain the material and articulate their thinking is extremely important for solidifying the concepts in their brains.
- Students continue work on their Passion Projects as time allows. I will be checking in with them in the next two weeks to make sure they are on track for completion. Presentations will be given sometime during the week of March 19th, just before spring break.
- The students have been doing a good job of getting their 45 minutes of i-Ready Math and Reading done each week. Please ask to see their progress, both in minutes completed and lessons passed.
- Please continue to support your child in nightly math fact practice. Be sure to do a mixed review occasionally as well. Those students that are using the Math Magician site are making much faster growth so please have them log on for additional practice: Math Magician: Multiplication Only and Math Magician: ALL facts, including division.
- BE SURE YOUR CHILD DRESSES IN SPIRIT WEAR ON FRIDAYS. Our school-wide class competitions are in full swing and spirit wear is one of the areas grade levels are competing in. They should wear green, gold or TBE attire. Please note that bits of color on a shirt or pants does not count.
- Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
2/20-3/2/18: Pennies 4 Patients LLS Drive
2/27-3/2/18: Read Across America Week
3/1/18: Spring Pictures
3/8/18: Sami Circuit Day #2
3/12/18 District/Site Day for Teachers, No School
3/14/18: Sami Circuit Family Night #2 6:00 in the Multi
3/17/18: Daddy-Daughter Dance
3/26 - 4/2: SPRING BREAK, No School
4/6/18: Monte Carlo Night
4/10/18: Choir @Rivercats 5:00
4/19/18 3rd Grade to Maidu (Snook & Evangelisti), 9:15
4/25/18 Starstruck Showcase TBD
4/26/18: Starstruck Showcase TBD
5/1/18: Andrews/Villa to Bernhard’s Museum 8:30
5/2/18: Sanchez/Evangelisti to Bernhard’s Museum 8:30
5/7-5/18/18: SBAC Testing Window for Grades 3-5
5/14-18/18: Book Fair
5/17/18: Open House 5:00
5/28/18: MEMORIAL DAY, No School
6/1/18: TBES Carnival Day
6/4-7: LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL, Early Release Days, 1:40 dismissal
6/7/18 Last Day of School 5th Grade Clap-Out 1:30