Español I y II
Me llamo Andrea Hernandez, y soy la maestra de español I y II en Wells High School. Llevo 2 años enseñando en los EEUU. Antes, yo trabajé como maestra de inglés en España por dos años. Estoy muy emocionada para tener un año divertido y lleno de conversaciones interesantes. Espero compartir mi amor por la cultura española y la lengua con los estudiantes.
My Name is Andrea Hernandez, and I am the Spanish I and II teacher at Wells High School. I have been teaching for 2 years in the USA. Beforehand, I was an English Teacher in Spain for 2 years. I am very excited to have a fun year full of interesting conversations. I am looking forward to sharing my love for the Spanish culture and language with the students.
My interests include:
- Singing, dancing and acting
- Cats, Spanish food, Mexican food... most foods!
I look forward to getting to know everyone. Email me with any questions or comments email@example.com
- 3-ring binder with lined paper
- If a student is unable to get a binder, please reach out to me, and I can give the student a gently used binder (according to inventory in the classroom)
- 1 pack of 3"x5" notecards
World language classes focus on communication and cultural awareness. You will learn to speak, listen, read, and write through paired practice, small group work, and role plays. Emphasis will be placed upon being able to use language in meaningful, real-life situations. By the end of the year, you will have been introduced to skills, knowledge, and attitudes that will help you live and work in an increasingly global society.
Learning a new language is like learning a sport or musical instrument. It requires dedicated practice and your success depends on the effort you put forth. Bring a positive attitude, an open mind and be ready to enjoy being immersed in a new language and culture.
As a student in Señora Hernandez’s classroom, you are to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Arrive to class on time
- All students without a pass will be marked tardy
- Bring your materials
- Be prepared by bringing your binder and all materials needed for the class
- Come to class willing to participate
- Part of attendance is participation--students must participate in class
- Discuss topics related to classwork
- During class you should stay on task with limited side chatter
- Homework will be assigned two days a week: Monday and Wednesday
- Homework is due the next class day unless otherwise specified
- Homework will be posted on the dry erase board in the classroom and on Google Classroom
- Unless otherwise specified, the use of cell phones is prohibited in the classroom
- If used, cell phones will be taken from students and stored for the remainder of the class
- Some homework will be assigned that is dependent on the use of a laptop. Students without computer access at home can work with Sra. Hernandez to get a computer from the library for use for the assignment.
Online Translator Policy:
- While it is a helpful tool to use as a single-word dictionary, Online Translators should not be used to translate sentences or long text.
- The use of an online translator for sentence formation on any assignment will be considered "cheating" or "copying" since the student did not create the work using their own vocabulary or conjugation skills.
- This will result in a 0, and the student will have the opportunity to re-do the assignment for 80% of its worth.
- Receptive (Listening and Reading) 45%
- Expressive (Speaking and Writing) 45%
- Learning Practice 10%
*Assignments will be weighted according to complexity and importance. Assignments will have an R and/or E grade according to the skill(s) that it assesses. Tasks such as homework and in-class warm-ups will be given Learning Practice scores.
- All assignments that require work outside of the classroom will be posted to Google Classroom
- Google Classroom will also feature helpful study sites and links to resources
- Students will have one week to make up late assignments (unless otherwise discussed)
- Items turned in after the due date will not receive full credit
- Students may come in before or after school for extra help. To ensure that I am in the classroom to provide assistance, it is suggested that I am given 24 hours notice.
- My prep period is Period 2, and I have study hall during period 5. I am available during those times as well.
In accordance with the Wells High School Vision of the Graduate, language students will:
- Demonstrate and expand proficiency in Spanish according to the four domains of language (speaking, writing, listening reading) as expected by a Novice to Intermediate language learner
- Interpret, critique and synthesize information
- Engage in activities for social, academic, and cultural growth
- Connect with people and resources to capitalize on learning experiences
- Listen to alternative ideas and communicate responses cogently and respectfully
Wells High School Mission Statement
"Our mission is to empower all students through individualized instruction to become literate critical thinkers
and problem solvers committed to civic engagement."