I am an Assistant Professor at the ECE Department at UW Madison. I am a fellow at the Grainger Institute for Engineering and an affiliate with the optimization group at the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery. My research interests lie in the areas of information theory, network science, probability and statistics.
From 08/15 - 08/16, I was a postdoctoral fellow at the Warren Center for Network and Data Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania. I was hosted jointly by the Statistics and the CIS departments. I completed my PhD in the EECS Department at UC Berkeley in 08/15, where I was advised by Professor Venkat Anantharam. I worked on problems in information theory with a focus on the connections between convex geometry and information theory. My thesis may be found here: Thesis.
Prior to Berkeley, I graduated with a Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT Bombay in 08/10. I was advised by Professor Abhay Karandikar and Professor Sibi Raj B Pillai. I also spent three exciting months (05/09-07/09) at the Department of Information Engineering, Chinese University of Hongkong working with Professor Chandra Nair.
My office address is at 4611 Engineering Hall. I can be reached by email at vjog at wisc dot edu.
In Spring 2017, I am teaching ECE 729: Theory of Information Processing and Transmission. In Fall 2016, I taught ECE 730: Modern Probability Theory and Stochastic Processes.
- A convolution inequality for entropy over Z_2. Varun Jog. To be presented at the ISIT 2017.
- Information and estimation in Fokker-Planck channels. Andre Wibisono, Varun Jog, Po-Ling Loh. To be presented at ISIT 2017.
- Intrinsic entropies of log-concave distributions. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. Submitted, 2017.
- Computationally efficient influence maximization in stochastic and adversarial models: Algorithms and analysis. Justin Khim, Varun Jog, Po-Ling Loh. Submitted, 2016.
- Computing and maximizing influence in linear threshold and triggering models. Justin Khim, Varun Jog, Po-Ling Loh. NIPS 2016.
- Analysis of centrality in sublinear preferential attachment trees via the Crump-Mode-Jagers branching process. Varun Jog, Po-Ling Loh. IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering, 2016.
- Persistence of centrality in random growing trees. Varun Jog, Po-Ling Loh. To appear in Random Structures and Algorithms, 2017.
- Information-theoretic bounds for exact recovery in weighted stochastic block models using the Renyi divergence. Varun Jog, Po-Ling Loh. Allerton Conference, 2015.
- On the geometry of convex typical sets. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. Best student paper award at ISIT 2015.
- A geometric analysis of the AWGN channel with a (sigma, rho)-power constraint. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2016.
- On model misspecification and KL separation for Gaussian graphical models. Varun Jog, Po-Ling Loh. ISIT 2015.
- A geometric analysis of the AWGN channel with a (sigma, rho)-power constraint. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. ISIT 2015.
- An energy harvesting AWGN channel with a finite battery. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. ISIT 2014.
- Convex relative entropy decay in Markov chains. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. CISS 2014.
- The entropy power inequality and Mrs. Gerber's lemma for groups of order 2^n. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2014.
- The entropy power inequality and Mrs. Gerber's lemma for groups of order 2^n. Varun Jog, Venkat Anantharam. ISIT 2013.
- An information inequality and evaluation of Marton's inner bound for binary input broadcast channels. Yanlin Geng, Varun Jog, Chandra Nair, Vincent Zizhou Wang. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2013.
- An information inequality for the BSSC channel. Varun Jog, Chandra Nair. ITA 2010.