Welcome to 5th Grade. My goal is to keep you informed and active in your student’s education. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to a great working relationship with every student and family.
Morning Drop Off Supervision
Students who are eating a school breakfast will be allowed into the cafeteria at 7:30 a.m. We have a large number of students who are arriving at school between 7:30 - 7:45 a.m. who are not eating breakfast. They are just hanging out in the cafeteria. Our drop-off time for students who are not eating breakfast is 7:45 a.m.. We have been making announcements to students every day this week that beginning on Monday after Thanksgiving break, students who arrive before 7:45 a.m. and are not eating breakfast will not be allowed to enter into the cafeteria. There is no supervision in the front of the building or in the backyard until 7:45 a.m.. Please make other arrangements in the morning for your child if they are not eating breakfast.
- January 8th: Prospective Parent Night @ 5:30 p.m.--Gymnasium
- January 9th: 5th Grade Parent/Student Night @ 5:00 p.m.--WCA Middle School
- January 21st: NO SCHOOL--Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 22nd: 5th Grade Cyber Safety Presentation by D.A. Office @ 2:20 p.m.--Gymnasium
- January 23rd: AVID Parent Showcase from 7:45 to 9:45 a.m.--Registration Required
- January 25th: 3rd--5th Grade Honor Roll Assembly @ 8:30 a.m.--Gymnasium
- January 28th: Class Group Picture Day--Formal Dress Required
Upcoming January Dates: Attention Current 5th Grade Families
Are you and your 5th grader curious about middle school? Do you have
questions about WCA’s middle school teachers, curriculum and electives?
Help ease your child’s transition to middle school by attending our Parents
Night, Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. at Windsor Charter
Academy Middle School. Although your child is already enrolled at WCA, you will learn critical
information about our middle school. At this event, we will:
• Kick-off the course registration process for incoming students.
• Review electives like journalism, animation, band, photography,
• Take students and parents on classroom tours.
• Introduce WCA’s middle school teachers and staff.
Bring your future 6th grader and join us for this IMPORTANT event!
Save the Date: Parents Night
January 9, 2019 @ 5:00 p.m.
Windsor Charter Middle School
College and AVID T-shirt Days :
*January College T-shirt Day - No T-shirt Day in January
*January AVID T-shirt Day - Monday, January 14 and 28
Student Council Information:
*January Meetings: Thursday, January 17 and 31
January 22 - District Attorney Presentation:
On January 22nd, 2019 representatives from the Weld County District Attorney’s Office will be speaking to 5th grade students about a new law regarding juvenile sexting. This new law took effect on January 1st, 2018 and gives the criminal justice system options to use in the event of juvenile sexting behavior. The presentation will be catered to 5th grade students, however the subject matter itself is mature. Representatives from the District Attorney's office will discuss with students why they should not send photos showing "where a swimsuit would cover" as well as discussing general cyber safety rules that are compatible with what students are learning in their classrooms.
We invite parents and guardians to join us for the 5th grade presentation. If you are planning to attend please RSVP online by January 21st by visiting the link below:
MS - AVID Elective Accepting Applications for the 2019/2020 School Year!
A very select group of students in 6th through 9th grade at Windsor Charter Academy will have the opportunity to enroll in a college preparatory elective called AVID.
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a 6th through 9th grade course elective and school-wide support system designed to prepare students in the academic middle for college.
The AVID elective focuses on equipping students with the skills they will need for college and their future careers. Writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization and reading are the main focus of the class. Students acquire the skills to be organized and become effective learners. AVID has a proven track record nationwide for both bringing out the very best in individuals and ensuring that they are eligible and ready to enter a four-year college after high school graduation.
If your 5th grader is interested in joining the AVID elective for the 2019/2020 School Year they can pick up an application from their 5th grade teacher, the office or online at:
Parents and students who are interested in joining our AVID elective classes are invited to learn more about our AVID program and how it can support your student’s success at any of the following upcoming events:
- Prospective Parent Night on January 9th at 5pm at the MS/HS
- AVID Information Night on January 15th at 5pm in the HS Commons
- AVID Showcase on January 23rd from 7:45-9:45 am at the Elementary School
All completed AVID forms and essays must be turned in to the office by January 25th, 2019
Student’s appearance has an impact on his/her attitude, behavior and learning. Our board has adopted a dress code policy that promotes personal respect for appearance and professionalism. Our staff will be enforcing the guidelines outlined in the dress code. Students will receive a written warning for being out of dress code for the first time. If a second violation is made, the student will be sent to the health office to call home and will need to change clothes. Please review the dress code policy: Dress Code Policy JICA
The following dress code violations are the most common:
- Color of Clothes:
- Shirts- solid navy blue, green, light yellow, white, burgundy, light blue, and grey. Heathered shirts do not meet dress code standards.
- Sweatshirts - solid navy, white, grey, and green.
- Bottoms - solid navy or khaki.
- Leggings and Jeggings - solid navy, green, grey or white, and worn underneath a dress code skirt, dress or tunic.
- Jumpers, Skirts, Skorts and Dresses - solid navy, khaki, green, or WCA plaid (navy blue and gold).
- Hair must be of natural color.
- Color of accessories should be solid navy blue, green, light yellow, white, light blue, grey, or WCA plaid (navy blue and gold)
- No mohawks or fauxhawks