Welcome to 1st Grade... an amazing place to be! I am excited to be teaching at WCA, and to be spending my 8th year with first graders. First grade is an incredible year of growth, as students become confident readers, writers, and mathematicians. I can't wait to partner with you and watch them grow!
January 14: AVID T-Shirt Day
January 21: Martin Luther King Jr. Day- No School
January 23: AVID Parent Showcase from 7:45am - 9:45am
January 28: Class Picture Day- Formal Dress Required (AVID T-Shirt Day to be rescheduled)
For Your Information
- If you are interested in having your child tutored in math, please use this link to sign up!
- Please read this message from Mrs. Seilbach about morning drop off supervision: Students who are eating a school breakfast will be allowed into the cafeteria at 7:30 a.m. We have a large number of students who are arriving at school between 7:30 - 7:45 a.m. who are not eating breakfast. They are just hanging out in the cafeteria. Our drop-off time for students who are not eating breakfast is 7:45 a.m.. We have been making announcements to students every day this week that beginning on Monday after Thanksgiving break, students who arrive before 7:45 a.m. and are not eating breakfast will not be allowed to enter into the cafeteria. There is no supervision in the front of the building or in the backyard until 7:45 a.m.. Please make other arrangements in the morning for your child if they are not eating breakfast.
- Math tutoring The Math Department is pleased to invite you to participate in its 2nd year of their WCA Math student-tutor program. Parents may sign their students up in grades K-8 to be tutored by a High School student. Sessions are one day a week from 3:30 - 4:30 at the MS/HS Academic Advancement Center and students will be matched with a tutor according to timing preferences selected at registration. There is a two-week time frame for students to be matched with a tutor; you will be contacted within that time frame. Cost for this weekly tutor session is $10/session to be paid directly to the tutor.
Click here for a link to online registration.
- Each child may bring in a pair of earbuds to use with his/her iPad.
- All students may correct their spelling tests and return them the following Monday for half credit. Corrected words must be written 5 times each. Only tests returned the following Monday will be accepted.
- I get a lot of student requests during the day to visit the Health Office! Please let me know if your child isn't feeling well while at school so that I can be sensitive to his/her needs.
- My door is always open! Never hesitate to drop by for an informal chat about your child!
- How is my child's spelling test graded? See the example and contact me with questions.
Log your volunteer hours here!
- Remember, classroom donations count toward your 35 volunteer hours. For each $10 donated to our classroom, you may log 1 volunteer hour. Receipts are not necessary.
LOOK AT US!
Working in Compass Groups to Review Counting Strategies
Using WICOR to help us learn about the plot of a story
A little fun with continents and oceans!
International Chocolate Day Deliciousness!
Learning about Germs
with Mrs. Birgenheier
Learning about Our Human body
with Mrs. Lauer
8 Keys Buddies!
AVID in Action!
*Pair and Polish