The Highcrest Library/Media Center follows all policies described in the Wilmette District 39 student handbook. However, some of our policies differ from elementary schools based on age level and responsibility. Here is a brief description of all our policies and procedures. Please email Mrs. Ilene Harris, the Library/Information Specialist, with questions: email@example.com.
The Library/Media Center is still a classroom and place for learning. All students are expected to model high standards for behavior in the LMC, just as they would in any space at Highcrest.
Our LMC follows a flexible model. Students can visit the LMC independently during Homeroom, Recess, or briefly after school (until 3:50pm). Their teachers may also schedule whole-class visits for book talks and checkouts. If visiting during Recess, they must bring a pass.
- Students may check out up to 5 books at a time on their account.
- Students may check out 1 current Caudill Award book at a time.
- Students may check out 1 Reading Challenge book at a time.
- The Wilmette Public Library has multiple copies of each Reading Challenge book as well as the Book on CD, Playaway, eBook and eAudio if available.
- Check-out periods last 3 weeks. Students may renew items twice after that (up to 9 weeks on one item).
- It is the responsibility of the student to maintain the safety of the item, and return it.
- Students are restricted to 1 e-book at a time on Follett Shelf to maintain fair access to the school community.
Overdues / Student Notifications
- We do not charge late fines in the LMC.
- Students receive paper overdue slips in Homeroom weekly on Tuesday mornings. If they have questions or concerns, they should speak to the LMC staff directly.
Lost & Damaged Books
- If student loses or damages a book, they are expected to pay for it per the D39 student handbook. This transaction is handled by the LMC staff, not the HMS Main Office.
- "Damaged" means the book is returned in a condition that is no longer "shelf-ready" or usable. Our staff can repair minor damage, such as rips and tears, or general wear-and-tear that occurs over time.
- Payments must be made by the end of the school year. These are flat fees for types of media:
- $10 for paperbacks.
- $20 for hardcovers.
- $40 for Playaways and other audio hardware.
- Unfortunately, we do not accept replacement copies from Amazon or other sources. We originally paid for features such as plastic dust jackets, special heavy-duty binding, labels, shipping, etc. The flat rate covers these additional costs.