Special Bugbee Activities:
- Bugbee Meet-Up at our West Hartford Public Libraries- Join Ms. Nascimento, Mrs. Brouse and other Bugbee friends and families at the Public Library for a read aloud, book recommendations and some Makerspace fun! Stop by if you can. We hope to see many of you there!
- Bishops Corner Branch Library- Tuesday, July 24, 2018 from 3:30-4:30 pm
- Noah Webster Library- Thursday, August 2, 2018 from 3:30-4:30 pm
Below you will find information for students entering K-5 and for students transitioning to Middle School.
For Students Entering K-5
Students entering kindergarten through 5th grade should read and/or be read to throughout the summer months. In addition to all of the activities planned for the summer, it is important for students to keep up with their reading to avoid summer slide. Here are some tips and resources to keep your child reading this summer!
- Check out the West Hartford Public Library summer reading website for more information on the summer reading program.
- Visit our West Hartford Public Libraries. Make visits to your public library a part of your summer routine. Check the website for information on children’s programs, special events and book recommendations.
- Follow Ms. Nascimento on Twitter to get some book recommendations for your child and to see what she is reading over the summer!
- Start a neighborhood book club with other families. This is a fun and low-key way to motivate your child to read.
- Mix things up! Try children’s magazines, audiobooks, ebooks, or reading websites to give students a variety of reading opportunities.
- Check out the Nutmeg Book Award 2019 Elementary Nominee List (Grades 2-4)
- Check out the Nutmeg Book Award 2019 Intermediate Nominee List (Grades 4-6)
Students entering grades K-5 should complete a summer reading log- on paper or online through Wandoo Reader- a new reading website provided by West Hartford Public Library. See more information to the right or below about how to register and log books.
Students entering grades K-5 register and log summer reading online here.
Please return the paper copy of the reading log to Ms. Nascimento the first week of school. If choosing to submit online, we will get that information in the fall.
Check out this presentation for more information about how to use Wandoo Reader.
For Students Entering Middle School
It is expected that all students attending Bristow and King Philip Middle Schools read at least one book of their choice during the summer vacation. Students should be prepared to complete a Reading Survey about their book in their Language Arts class during the first week of school. In addition, students can visit the KP or Bristow websites to enter to win a $50 gift card! All you need to do is log the books you read!
Students should consider the following guidelines when selecting a book.
- Find a grade/level appropriate title you have not read before
- Choose fiction or nonfiction
- Check out the Middle School websites below for book recommendations