Mwalimu J. Grasty, 3rd Degree Black Belt - Hekima
Founder and Chief Instructor - Hekimado
Hekima Martial Arts Black Belt Instructor - Jabari's Martial Arts Academy
I've been involved with the martial arts circa 2001. I received my start in at my high school during after-school activities. Training consisted of basic strikes and blocks with single/double stick, sword, and bo staff. Training was heavily focused on physical and mental conditioning/fitness and team building. I participated actively 3 or my 4 years of high school (2000-2004). In 2003, I joined the Jabari's Martial Arts Academy-Detroit, MI under Master Olu Jabari. I started training Saturday mornings for 3 hours in a 6 week class held at Wayne County Community College -Eastern Campus. I received my 1st Degree Black Belt in December 2005 and my 3rd Degree Black Belt in June 2010.
Hekima is a Kiswahili word meaning "wisdom" and the official martial art philosophy of the Jabari's Martial Arts Academy. Hekima has roots in the Korean martial art, Tang Soo Do (The Way of the Tang Hand) and the Afrikan martial art Alkebudo (The Afrikan Way). It's primary martial art discipline is Sport Karate.
Sport Karate is a structured program that focuses on personal development. Students participate in martial art activities that encourages team work, physical fitness, healthy competition and promotes discipline, patience and self-defense.
Youth Classes - Ages 6+
- Able to participate in structured activity for at least 45 minutes
- Good/Great physical health
Martial Fitness is our premiere program. The focus of this program is the analysis of techniques and applications learned in the sport karate curriculum for self-defense and participation in wellness and fitness activities. The elements together bring to life what is known as Hekimado.
Teen/Adult Classes - Ages 13+
- Age 13
- Able to participate in structured activity for at least 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Good/Great physical health
- Able to do the following exercises consecutively:
- 25 jumping jacks
- 25 push-ups
- 25 sit-ups
Cost of Attendance
- $15.00 - Hourly Rate (See program offerings)
- $50.00 - Student Karate Uniform
- $125.00 - Sparring Gear Set
Class Rates - Pay in full, Get 1 student karate uniform FREE!
24 Hour Program
Introductory Offer - Group Rate
- Includes 8 hours of instruction, equivalent to 1-month of training. Valid only for the month registered.
- Uniform not included in this offer.
- Students will purchase the uniform for $50 from program director.
- Uniform is REQUIRED for training.
- Offer is only available to first time students.
- Group must have a minimum of 2 people to take advantage of this offer.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration. This includes uniform fees.
- All persons MUST meet class requirements to be eligible to register to take advantage of this offer.
- All persons MUST register for the same class to take advantage of this offer.
Intro Offer-Group Rates:
- $50 per person / 2-5 people
Continuing Education - Group Rate:
- $80 per person / monthly