Mrs. Kavalin's 1st Grade
"A teacher takes a hand opens a mind and touches a heart."
This is my 18th year teaching first grade at Franklin School. I have taught kindergarten , first, second, and third grade, but first grade is my favorite! I have a Master's Degree in Reading Specialization. Teaching reading and writing to my first graders is my passion. I love to read in my spare time. My three grown children and three grandchildren also love to read. I will teach my students to love reading and love learning!
Happy February! We are looking forward to celebrating the hundredth day of school on February 13th!
Reading-. Our reading workshop is going VERY well! The children are enjoying the book baggies, sticky notes and the responsibility! They especially like the Non-fiction unit of study. They are progressing beautifully!
Math - We are in unit 6 where the children will become more skilled in their computation.
Writing-We have been focusing on Literary Non-Fiction for the past month or so. The children have been eager to write, edit and publish their stories. They are focusing on creating surprise endings and using descriptive words.
Social Studies - The class will be celebrating all of the February holidays- starting with Groundhog’s Day! We will do a biographical study of two great Americans- Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. We will be studying the achievements of these two men whose memories are so honored. For Valentine’s Day we will be sending home a class list with your child. Please make sure your child has a Valentine for everyone on our class list. Please make sure your child writes clearly on the envelopes so it is easy for the children to read and distribute.
We are also doing a unit on Patriotic Symbols, so ask your child all about it!
Science - We will be learning about shadows and what causes them. The class will discuss the important role the sun has in casting shadows. We are also studying arctic animals. It’s so much fun!
Star of the Week- We continue to highlight two new students each week and look forward to learning more about them
FIRST GRADE SUPPLY LIST – 2018-2019
1. (3) Pack “Post-It” Notes, 3” x 3”, yellow, 100 Sht/Pd (3M)
2. (1) Dozen Pencils,#2, Ticonderoga, Sharpened
3. (1) Set Markers, Washable, Classic Colors, Wide tip, 8/Set (Crayola)
4. (1) Set Pencils, Colored, 7”, Sharpened, 8/Set (Crayola)
5. (4) Folders, 2 Pocket, Blue/Red/Green/Yellow
6. (1) Marker, Dry Erase, Chisel Tip, Low Odor, Black (Expo 2)
7. (1) Box Crayons, Tuck Box, 16/Box (Crayola)
8. (5) Composition Books, Marble Cover, 100 Sheets, Black
9. (2)Glue, Elmer’s Washable, 4 oz., White (Elmer’s)
10. (2) Erasers, Pink, Large, Latex Free
11. (1) Pencil Box, Plastic, 8.25” x 5.25” x 2” Optional items not included in the pre ordered kits:
12.(1) Container Baby Wipes
13. Hand Sanitizer
14. (1) Box Tissues
15. (3) boxes disinfectant wipes