The goal of WMS Physical Education is to create an environment in which all students are motivated to participate fully in Physical Education class. According to Shape America "Physical Education aims to develop students' physical competence and knowledge of movement and safety, and their ability to use these to perform in a variety of activities associated with the development of an active and healthy lifestyle." WMS students are offered a variety of activities throughout the school year to experience. Students will know they are successful when they participate in physical activities outside of school for their health, well being and enjoyment.
Physical Education is required by state law for all students in grades K-12.
The benefits of regular physical activity include:
- Reduces the risk for overweight, diabetes and other chronic diseases
- Assists in improved academic performance
- Helps children feel better about themselves
- Reduces the risk for depression and the effects of stress
- Helps children prepare to be productive, healthy members of society and
- Improves overall quality of life.
SHAPE America recommends school-age children accumulate at least 60 minutes and up to several hours of physical activity per day while avoiding prolonged periods of inactivity.