What is a "disciple"?
1. A disciple is a follower of Jesus.
“After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.” And leaving everything, he rose and followed him. - Luke 5:27-28
2. A disciple of Jesus is becoming more like Jesus.
`“A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.” - Luke 6:40
3. Being a disciple of Jesus requires obedience & sacrifice.
"And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it." - Mark 8:34-35
4. Being a disciple of Jesus flows from a love of Jesus and His love of you.
"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love." - John 15:9-10
5. Being a disciple means following Jesus wherever He is leading YOU.
Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” - John 21:22
6. A disciple of Jesus makes more disciples of Jesus.
"And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” - Matthew 28:20
Disciple: The Five G's
A healthy disciple of Jesus regularly practices what we call "the 5 G's":
- GATHER: Gather simple means the disciple is in the habit of gathering with other people. This can take many forms including gathering with the church in Corporate Worship (S1 discipleship) or can be gathering in groups for community (S3 discipleship). But this also means that the disciple (as a Disciple Maker) is in the habit of gathering to show and share the gospel.
- GROW: This refers to growth emotionally, mentally, socially, and spiritually. It is a commitment to being a life-long learner, always aspiring but never arriving. The knowledge and beauty of God is a limitless chasm of which we will never fully reach the depths (John 17:3). As we grow as disciples, we become more like Jesus and who he has made each of us to be. We also grow in our gathering, giving, and going.
- GIVE: Human beings are not naturally outward or other-centered creatures. Giving of oneself is the natural outcome of growing to become more like Jesus and who God has designed someone to be. It takes a miraculous, gospel work wrought and sustained by the power of the Holy Spirit. An undeniable mark of a growing disciple is an increase in generosity with his/her time, talent and treasure.
- GO: Going is the act of an intentional, missional lifestyle or what can be described as "living with a missional mindset." It means understanding that a disciple is 'sent' into the world by Jesus just as Jesus was sent into the world by His Father. It isn't a burden or an obligation but is joy to meet the desperate need in the world. A disciple lives always ready to share the reason for their confidence and joy (1 Peter 3:15). He/she prays for opportunities to engage with believers and non-believers and believers alike and strives to build relationships with people, helping to bring them to the life-changing power of Jesus.
- GOSPEL: Everything a disciple is and everything a disciple does is fueled by the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is in Jesus that we find our purpose and meaning.