Software and Website Approval
Software and Web Subscription Approval Process
This approval process applies to all potential purchases of any applications and software for any device (computer, tablet, etc.) supported by the district. The process also applies to approval of website subscriptions for student and/or teacher usage. If this approval process is not followed, the purchase of the above listed items will not be reimbursed and the software will not be supported by IT, nor Educational Services.
Software approvals will follow the purchasing calendar. All site assessments must be completed by the dates outlined in that calendar.
- Software will not be installed on the tablets.
- All software purchased by a site/department must be completely supported by the site/department. This includes administration, professional development, and troubleshooting.
Step 1: Site Assessment of Software
(1) Teacher or administrator refers to the Approved Software list. If the software is already approved, the request form does not need to be completed.
(2) Teacher or administrator completes the online Software Approval Request form answering the following questions with basic information about the software.
- Is the software WEB-BASED?
- If not, does it require its own server?
- Does ANYTHING need to be installed on individual devices in order for the software to function?
- What type of LICENSING are you purchasing?
- Will you need assistance from our DATA TEAM?
- Who will be using the software?
- What are the main functions of the software?
- How does the software fit into the Common Core curriculum?
- How will teachers be supported in implementation and beyond?
- Be prepared to upload a budget detailing costs for the program and professional development that indicates how the site is going to fund the cost for implementation and ongoing support. (Please note: Even if the cost of the program is $0, please note how PD will be funded.)
Step 2: District Assessment of Software
Educational Services staff will vet the software for curricular appropriateness. Upon approval by Ed Services, IT will assess the software for technical specifications.
Step 3: Notification
- If approved by Ed Services and IT, the site contact and principal will be emailed with the approval letter which is required as an attachment on the purchase requisition. Object code 5850 must be used on the requisition as well.
- If not approved by Ed Services and/or IT, the site contact will be emailed with the reason(s).