English 10 with Mrs. Nichols
The goal of the year is to improve your writing skills. The primary focus of the year is on the development of your skills through repeated practice of the writing process (pre-writing, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing).
We will be exploring texts which relate to these Thematic Essential Questions:
· Under what circumstances should governing authorities be permitted to suspend the rights of their citizens?
· Under what circumstances might a majority be wrong?
· Under what circumstances might a person be justified in giving their life for their beliefs?
· How can my actions affect others?
· How can I affect others to do the right thing?
· What causes discrimination?
· Why does language matter?
· How does the author use literary devices (characterization, conflict, setting, simile, metaphor, irony, foreshadowing, symbolism) to develop his/her theme and central idea?
· How do poets use poetic techniques to convey meaning?
· How can I convey my message in a coherent manner?