Extended Learning @ WMS LIBrary
The Middle School Library is closed, but there are PLENTY of eBooks and digital audiobooks to read! Below are some helpful literary resources for extended learning. We will be updated this page regularly with more literary resources.
Virtual Drop-In Hour
Need help finding a book? Have a tech question? Just want to chat? Talk with Ms. Maroni-Wagner!
Zoom Link: bit.ly/wmslibdropin
Password: Posted on Cluster Smores/Schedules
Email Ms. Maroni-Wagner at any time: email@example.com
WMS Library eBooks & Audiobooks
The WMS Library has over 40 eBooks and digital audiobooks. To borrow, all you need is your school email and password!
- Go to the Library Catalog. Scroll down to eBooks or Audiobooks, and click "See All"
- To borrow a book, click on the book. A window will pop up. Click "Log In," and then "Sign in with Google". Sign in with your school email. Then, click "Checkout"
You can read from any device! Search your app store for "Destiny Discover"
For tips & tricks on the WMS Library Digital Collection (Destiny Discover):
WMS also has access to the MLS Commonwealth eBook Collection on Sora, which gives students access to over 13,000 eBooks & digital audiobooks!
- Go to soraapp.com/library/masslibma. In the dropdown menu, select "Watertown City School District" and login using your school email.
- Browse the collections (on the homepage), or scroll down and select a popular subject. Use the preference and refine tools to search for books that best fit your tastes and reading level. To borrow a book, click "Borrow"
You can read from any device! Search your app store for "Sora"
For tips & tricks on the MLS Commonwealth eBook Collection (Sora):
Watertown Free Public Library eBooks & Audiobooks
To see all WFPL online resources, visit watertownlib.org/elibrary
Don't have a Library card? Any resident of Massachusetts can get a Boston Public Library eCard! Go to bpl.org/ecard. To find out more, watch this tutorial starting at 3:26 (also linked below)
The WFPL Digital Collection on Overdrive has over 100,00 titles, and all you need is a library card!
- Go to the minuteman.overdrive.com. In the top menu, click "Teens"
- Browse the collections or subjects using the top menu links. Use the preference and refine tools to better search for books. To borrow a book, click "Borrow"
You can read from the app! Search your app store for "Overdrive"
For tips & tricks on the WFPL Digital Collection (Overdrive):
Hoopla has simultaneous checkout, so everyone can borrow the same book at the same time (read with your friends)! All you need is a library card.
- Go to the hoopladigital.com and sign in.
- In the top menu, click browse to see different formats.
- Click 'Categories', and select a category that interests you.
- To borrow a book, select the book, and click "Borrow." You can borrow up to ten items a month.
You can read from the app! Search your app store for "Hoopla"
For tips & tricks on the Hoopla:
If you have not used any of these platforms before, watch this tutorial to get started!
- 0:00 - 1:58 - How to create an account on the Minuteman Library Network (minlib.net)
- 1:59 - 3:26 - How to create an account on Hoopla (hoopladigital.com)
- 3:26 -4:39 - How to get a Boston Public Library eCard (bpl.org/ecard)
How to create accounts on Overdrive, Hoopla, and get a BPL eCard
Other Free eBooks & Audiobooks
No account needed, and simultaneous checkout (everyone can read at the same time)!
- Junior Library Guild* (a great vendor that we purchase books from) is offering free access to ebooks for students. They have over 50 free titles in their Middle School collection.
- Username: JLGMID
- Password: JLGFREE
- Teen Book Cloud* has about 1000 titles, including 372 ebooks, 155 Enhanced Ebooks, 120 audio books, 120 national geographic videos, and 74 graphic novels!
- Username: tumble2020
- Password: A3b5c6
- ABDO Publishing* has hundreds of YA eBooks.
- Username: Spring
- Password: 2020
- Audible Stories* is now offer free audiobooks! They have over 100 titles in the Tween & Teen genre.
- Project Gutenberg provides free access to over 60,000 ebooks, many of which were published prior to 1924. It is a great site to look for literary classics. This link brings you to the 100 most popular books on Project Gutenberg.
- ESL Bits is a website that provides eBooks and audio combined and is designed to help students improve their listening and reading comprehension of the English language. Many classics, as well as other popular titles
*The companies that own these platforms have generously made their resources free while school buildings are still closed. They will not be available after this summer.
Some Really Cool Podcasts!
Listen as world-famous radio reporter Eleanor foils devious plots, outwits crafty villains, and goes after The Big Story. Eleanor’s pursuit of truth takes her into orbit, out to sea, and even to the halls of Congress! Her adventures are entertaining and informative.
is a biweekly audio drama that brings you brand new hopepunk fables for the 21st century. All told in an immersive way. We're able to remember the lessons from our childhoods, and learn a few new ones too.
is a free, 20-minute podcast devoted to middle grade books and readers. Each show features a trio of students discussing a favorite book, an interview with the author, and a celebrity reading!
is a podcast for teens, published by teens. It was created to showcase the power of young people as makers of media, technology, and community. It brings the teen perspective to issues of public concern.