Welcome Back !!!
Arts Infusion *New Program*
We are excited to introduce a new program to the Wandell School curriculum: Arts Infusion. Arts Infusion is intended to foster a highly creative atmosphere in the classroom in order to increase student engagement and excitement in the core curriculum. Once a week, Mrs. Kim will visit Grades 1 through 5 in their home classrooms. Classroom teachers and Mrs. Kim will closely collaborate by incorporating art into certain lesson plans to encourage students’ creative thinking and academic engagement. The arts can improve students’ understanding and retention of core academic concepts by having students apply them in their artwork. Arts Infusion can also provide an additional means to achieve and assess students’ mastery of the core curriculum.
"If children cannot learn the way you teach, then teach the way they learn.”
Our Art program offers art classes once a week to Pre K through 5th Grade classes. During the 2018-2019 academic year, students will experience an overview of a variety of art making techniques, processes materials and history as they relate to the Elements and Principles of Art and Design. Topics will include:
- Elements of Art: Identification and demonstration of Line, Texture, Value, Space, Color, Form and Space
- Principles of Art: Identification and demonstration of the principles of Unity, Variety, Rhythm, Repetition, Movement, Balance and Emphasis
- Art History and Multicultural Art: Various art movements, artists and cultures, as applicable
- Color Theory: Primary Colors, Secondary Colors, color temperature and tints
- Painting: Demonstration of knowledge of watercolor (wet on wet and wet on dry) and acrylic or tempera (impasto) techniques
- Drawing: Demonstration of contour lines and shading techniques
- Crafting: Developing of fine motor skills by using scissors and glue with various media (tissue paper, beans, buttons, etc.)
Project Description: Students will bring their projects home with a description label describing its objectives and keywords learned. The Project Description helps parents understand what their child/ren learned from the project and students to remember the objectives and keywords.
Arts and Beautification: Wandell School students will proudly exhibit their wonderful art work throughout the school building.
Grading: Students will be graded based on following rubric:
Rubric for Art
25% of Class participation/Cooperation
25% of Effort/Learning/Progress
25% of Creativity/Originality/Quality
25% of Design/Craftsmanship/Attention to Detail
During the 2018 – 2019 academic year, Art grades will be based on the Standards Based Report Card. A standards based report card identifies the most important skills in each grade level and content area in alignment with Common Core State Standards, the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards and district program (Please see the back).
- Earning a “4” means has advanced understanding and exceeds grade level expectations. A “4” is difficult to obtain and indicates usually high achievement.
- Earning “3” means the student has proficient understanding and meets grade level expectations. A “3” is something to be celebrated!
- Earning a “2” means the students has basic understanding and partially meets grade-level expectations. A “2” indicated that a child may need extra help or time to understand a concept or skill.
- Earning a “1” means the students has minimal understanding and does not meet grade-level expectations. A students receiving a “1” will need interventions in order to meet grade-level expectations.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at email@example.com. I am looking forward to having another wonderful year at the Wandell School.