Benchmarking Newspaper Production KPI's
In 2016, WAN-IFRA did a benchmarking project on assessment of environmental KPI‘s (e-KPI) for newspaper production, where a total of 14 KPI‘s were benchmarked . The project covered KPIs from environmental and production metrices. Altogether a total of 31 printing plants from India had participated in the project. This project was done under strict non- disclosure agreement to ensure the security and privacy of data & reports of the participants.
In continuation of the previous benchmarking project, this financial year WAN-IFRA propose an extension project “Benchmarking Newspaper Production KPI“ and will focus solely on newspaper production KPI‘s . In the extension project of benchmarking we added updated KPI‘s and international metrics for measurement and analysis of KPI‘s.
WAN-IFRA’S Bench marking project will give the following advantages.
- Benchmarking is based on consumption of resources and hence could give a clear picture of over utilisation or waste.
- It measures limited number of KPI‘s only- Easy to measure
- Only most important production KPI‘s are measured to have a clear direction on product cost.
- Easy access to data. SAP system could provide data for most KPI.
15 KPI for newspaper production printing plants, these are updated KPI from phase-1 project. Included new KPI's like Capacity utilisation, OEE, Inventory ration, Renewable energy efficiency, Direct variable consumables efficiency, Downtime and print finish.
- Capacity utilization:
- Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Inventory turn of Machine spares
- Renewable energy utilization
- Energy efficiency
- Newsprint waste
- Printed waste efficiency
- Ink Mileage
- Direct variable Consumables efficiency
- Newsprint Stock effectiveness:
- Web break frequency
- Print finish
- Manpower efficiency
- Water efficiency