CAREER TALKS WEEKLY REFLECTION SESSIONS
Students who participate in our program are required to attend a 2-hour reflection session that furthers discuss career exploration. We discuss topics such as:
- Self- Assessment and Goal-setting
- Financial Literacy
- 21st Century Skills
- Conflict Resolution/ Workplace Norms
- Career Panel & Professional Skills
- Job Search/Application Materials
- End of program Reflection session
WHAT KINDS OF JOBS ARE AVAILABLE?
We have jobs in various industries such as legal studies, patient care, technology, STEM, farming and more! Click here to read more about the internships we have for Summer 2020!
Contact Jessica Sanon, Jessica@walthampartnershipforyouth.org if you have any questions or concerns. If you need help with your resume and cover letter, please sign up for our office hours: http://www.collegecentral.com/wpy.
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN OUR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM?
Students who participate in our 6-week paid summer internship program receive job experience and exposure to the world of work as well as weekly skill-building workshops and presentations provided by the WPY Internship Coordinator as well as community partners. Through hands-on, real world learning experiences, participants develop employability skills such as communication, teamwork, and critical thinking, as well as industry and site-specific skills such as lesson planning, legal research, and lab safety protocols.
DO I QUALIFY?
Our internship program is open to all Waltham High School students and we are committed to ensuring access and support for those who are struggling academically as well those from communities that are too often underrepresented in key industries. This includes students of color, first generation college students, and students from low-income families.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Waltham Partnership for Youth Summer Internship Program is powered by College Central Network, an online platform that helps you find a job and get the scoop on career-related programs and events. Students interested in our program must create an account on our College Central Network platform. This platform offers students the ability to:
- Listen to career advice podcasts
- Read tips on job hunting
- Create and upload a resume and portfolio
- Schedule an appointment with an adviser on resume review, mock interviews and more
***Students who create a profile will be able to apply for our summer internship program in late January 2020. Included in the application, please upload the following:
- Your resume (on your resume, provide 3 references (email and telephone) of adults who can speak to your character and ability. At least one reference must be from a professional or teacher.)
- A brief cover letter expressing your interest in the program
- New applicants: In 1-2 paragraphs, please explain why you are interested in our program, what you hope to learn from it and what skills/passion/interests you can contribute to the program? (Consider skills and experiences if you participate in an extracurricular activity.)
- Returning applicants: In 1-2 paragraphs, please discuss how you will use this opportunity to build on what you learned as a past intern and how you plan to further develop your skills? In what ways have you applied the skills you learned last year at home, school and/or your community?
*** Students who attend our Ready? Set? Job! career readiness boot-camp will have the opportunity to meet with employers who are eager to hire an intern for the summer! To learn more about the application process for our 2020 summer program, please view this document.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I APPLY?
Once you apply, our staff will review your application and conduct an initial interview process. Interviews will happen on a first-come first-serve basis. Below is a timeline of events:
- Interviews Conducted: March 17 - April 10, 2020
- Letters of Employment sent to successful applicants: May 15 - May 30, 2020
- Summer Internship Orientation: June 25, 2020 from 3-5pm
- Summer Program: July 6 - August 14, 2020
- Closing Ceremony: August 13, 2020 from 6-8pm
Questions? Please contact the Internship Coordinator, Jessica Sanon, email@example.com.