10 reasons I love being a School Psychologist!!
Being a School Psychologist is not an easy career, but it IS a worthwhile career. To be honest, there are intense days, when the needs of so many children pile up, with solid timelines looming, reports to write, children to evaluate, behavior plans to tweak, etc. There are difficult meetings, where standing firm in what you believe is not easy. There are times when I’m frustrated and feel hopeless with what some children are going through. People will occasionally say to me, “I don’t know how you do what you do.” I do what I do, because I want to spend my life in a career that makes a difference. School Psychologists make a difference.
I have been working in this field for over 10 years! I feel as though I blinked and those years have passed by. However, with time comes experience. Has it been difficult? Yes! Has it been worthwhile? Definitely yes! Have I met and worked with amazing teachers and administrators? Thankfully, yes! I enjoy my profession, enjoy coming to work everyday and enjoy working with students on a daily basis.
So, without further adieu...here is my list of 10 reasons why I love being a School Psychologist!!
1. Seeing kids "rise above", make changes and experience success!
2. Working with children and helping our team problem-solve the reason for their challenges.
3. Attending informative and life-changing conferences/workshops.
4. Connecting with families and working with them to provide resources, improve student outcomes or to be a listening ear.
5. Getting hugs in the hallway from kiddos!! :)
6. Seeing kids believe they are "good kids" and through my help can make positive changes to improve behavior and/or their daily choices.
7. Observing in classrooms and seeing first hand the talented teachers that are working hard with your children.
8. Collaborating with my colleagues and learning from other discipline areas (speech, OT, PT, etc.).
9. Helping each child see their "abilities" over their "disabilities"!
10. Summer break!! :)