October 6th, 2017
the VSY FYI
October 8, 2017
vol. 17-18 Issue 07
- Wednesday, October 11th - Wear Pink (In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month)
- Thursday, October 12th - Thursday, October 19th - Fall Book Fair
- Friday, October 13th - Wear College T-Shirts (For College and Career Readiness Week)
- Friday, October 13th - Fall Festival, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Important Dates to Remember
- Tuesday, October 17th - Fall Picture Day
- Thursday, October 19th - Meet the Masters Day (FULL DAY OF SCHOOL)
- Friday, October 20th - NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, October 31st - Fall Festivities Celebration
Fall Festival THIS Friday
Fall Festival is this coming Friday, October 13th, from 5pm-8pm. All VSY family and friends are invited. As always we will have an amazing pumpkin patch, food, games, rides, crafts and fun! Admission is FREE for everyone and all VSY students will receive a free meal. Can't wait to see everyone on Friday the 13th! Wear Costumes! We will need lots of volunteers for this event and the sign up will be going up shortly. Happy Fall!
Adopt-A-Class has gotten off to an amazing start! A few classrooms have already been fully adopted. However, the majority of our classrooms are still in need of adoptions. And unfortunately, there are some classes who have yet to receive a single adoption. If you have not yet adopted your child's classroom, please consider doing so. These funds go directly into the classroom for much-needed supplies such as educational materials, printer ink, craft supplies, materials for special class projects, and so much more. Remember, you can donate $50, $150, or $250. Donations can be made by check or by credit card on the VSY PTA Adopt-A-Class page. Questions? Email Adopt-A-Class at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hurricane Relief for Puerto Rico
VSY is teaming up with Bair Middle School, Beachside Montessori, and Sunrise Middle School to collect donations to assist the children and families affected by Hurricane Maria. Donations will be collected this week (10/9 - 10/13). Items needed are: batteries, flashlights, baby wipes, baby food, disposable diapers, and non-perishable food. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Stapleton at email@example.com.
- Fall Festival: Fall Festival is this Friday, October 13th. We need many volunteers to help with daytime set up, handing out free student meals, selling water, and clean up. Please sign up on the VSY PTA Volunteer Sign-Up page if you are interested in helping.
- Fall Book Fair: The Fall Book Fair will take place from Thursday, October 12th - Thursday, October 19th. We are in need of a parent Book Fair Chair to work with Ms. Narkier, VSY Media Specialist, to transform the VSY Media Center into a literary wonderland for our students! If you are interested in helping, please sign up on the VSY PTA Volunteer Sign-Up page.
- Math or Reading Coach: Want to help our VSY students soar? Become a Math or Reading Coach! Math and Reading Coaches are parent volunteers who assist students in need of a little extra boost. These programs require a commitment from October to May. Each Reading Coach is assigned to a specific student and will meet with him/her twice a week for 20-30 minutes throughout the school year. Math coaches meet with small groups of students (3-4) who need a little extra boost in math one time a week for 30 minutes. If you are interested in participating, please email President@vsypta.org.
- LEGO Club: Lego Club is looking for parent volunteers. If you are interested in helping develop STEM skills in Fourth and Fifth Grade students and are available on Wednesdays from 3:30pm-5:30pm, please email Peter Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Green Team News: Recycling
Please be advised that there are some changes this year to to the School Recycling program regarding which items are eligible to be recycled. Please see the table below:
- empty plastic bottles 1-7
- empty soda cans
Items that are NOT Recyclable:
- large open mouth plastics which include buckets.
- air conditioning filters
- food cartons and plastics
- food waste
- plastic wrappings and plastic forks, spoons, knives and sporks
- plastic cups
- cardboard cups
- paper plates
**When possible, please send your child’s lunch in reusable containers. If we all do a small part, we can make a big difference! If you have any questions, please contact Beth Malkin at email@example.com.**
New VSY PTA Website
We are excited to unveil a new VSY PTA website! You can still find us at vsypta.org, but we’ve had a makeover! The new site aims to be more user-friendly for our VSY PTA community to navigate. Some key changes:
- All past issues of the VSY FYI are archived on the site. Find the VSY FYI tab at the top of the home page. For any members of the VSY community who are not receiving the FYI but would like to, please visit the VSY FYI and fill out the form to be added to the mailing list.
- Please find important BCPS links, including the color-coded academic calendar and official VSY webpage, at the bottom of the homepage.
- You will still use the VSY PTA webpage to log at home volunteer hours. The format for doing so has changed, however. You will now fill out a Google form.
- You will continue to sign up for volunteer opportunities on the VSY PTA webpage. We are now using Sign-Up Genius, embedded on the webpage, to do so. This does NOT require any kind of login or registration from users.
We hope the VSY PTA community enjoys the new look and functionality! Please firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
VSY PTA Art Education Ideas
As many of you know, VSY was forced to cut the art special this year due to budget cuts. Many in our community have spent time thinking through how the PTA can help fill the void left by this change. Thank you to all those who were able to attend this past week’s PTA meeting and continue the conversation. The discussion was tabled for the next PTA meeting. The PTA is looking for any and all ideas that might help support arts education. If you have any thoughts or ideas on ways the PTA could use funds to support art experiences for our kids, please email ArtsIdeas@vsypta.org. In the interest of time and efficiency, please submit ideas and suggestions for proposed solutions only, not commentary.
Join the VSY PTA!
VSY PTA has over 550 Members and we are almost to our goal of 622. When we reach our goal, the students will have popsicles at PE! There are weekly Wednesday raffles for students of PTA members on VSY TV. Membership will be hosting a ring toss with treasure box prizes at Fall Festival for all students wearing the VSY PTA wristband. Sign up today at http://www.vsypta.org
Find VSY on Social Media
VSY has increased its social media presence. Look for VSY on Facebook and Twitter to stay up-to-date on all the amazing things happening at our school!
And a Thank You to Our Sponsor...
Victoria Park Animal Hospital, treating each pet patient as if it were our own.