- Public Economics, Labor Economics, Development Economics
- Intergenerational transmission of gender attitudes: Evidence from India with Diva Dhar and Seema Jayachandran, Journal of Development Studies, forthcoming. Pre-print
- Does who you know matter? Unraveling the influence of peers' network attributes on academic performance with Nishtha Langer, Economic Inquiry, 57(1): 141-161, 2019. Open access
- Barriers to skill acquisition: Evidence from English training in India with Pushkar Maitra and Subha Mani, World Development, 114: 314-325, 2019. Pre-print
- Covered by Hyderabad Hiccup
- Common tongue: The impact of language on educational performance, Journal of Economic History, 77(2):473-510, 2017. Open access
- How does relationship-based governance accommodate new entrants? Evidence from the cycle rickshaw rental market with Ashima Sood, Journal of Institutional Economics, 13(3):673-697, 2017. Pre-print
- Social identity and governance: The behavioral response to female leaders with Lata Gangadharan, Pushkar Maitra and Joseph Vecci, European Economic Review, 90:302-325, 2016. Pre-print
- The impact of study groups and roommates on academic achievement with Mudit Kapoor, Review of Economics and Statistics, 97(1):44--54, 2015. Online Appendix. Pre-print
- Letting the briber go free: An experiment on mitigating harassment bribes with Klaus Abbink, Utteeyo Dasgupta and Lata Gangadharan, Journal of Public Economics, 111:17-28, 2014. Pre-print
- Where there is a will: Fertility behavior and sex bias in large families, Journal of Human Resources, 49(2):393-423, 2014. Pre-print
- Women leaders and their response to the social environment with Lata Gangadharan, Pushkar Maitra and Joseph Vecci. Revise and resubmit at Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- Reshaping adolescents' gender attitudes: Evidence from a school-based experiment in India with Diva Dhar and Seema Jayachandran. NBER Working Paper No. 25331.
- Social connections and public healthcare utilization with Sisir Debnath.
- Science education and labor market outcomes in a high STEM economy with Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, Nishith Prakash and Raghav Rakesh. IZA Discussion Paper No. 11908.
- Women's labor force participation and household technology adoption, with Gautam Bose and Sarah Walker.
- Public insurance, reimbursement design and access to health-care in India, with Sisir Debnath, and Debi Prasad Mohapatra.
Policy Writing and Media
Policy Writing and Media
- The Language of Learning The India Forum, April 5, 2019.
- Panel discussion: Does Ayushman Bharat address the issues of healthcare delivery in Bihar? Ideas for India, February 1, 2019. Video
- Designing India's national healthcare protection: Challenges and opportunities with Sisir Debnath, Dibya Mishra and Revathy Suryanarayana, Ideas for India, August 27, 2018.
- Common tongue? How mother tongue instruction influences education with Revathy Suryanarayana, Ideas for India, February 27, 2017.
- Bringing the sheen back to teaching with Avantika Dhingra, The New Indian Express, October 8, 2016.
- Public health insurance for tertiary diseases: Lessons from Andhra's Aarogyasri programme with Sisir Debnath, Ideas for India, April 12, 2016.
- Impact assessment: Data analysis for better decision making, ISB Insight, August 13, 2015.
- Do self-help programmes change hearts and minds? The JEEViKA experience in Bihar, Jul-Sep 2015, ISB Insight.
- Do women leaders deceive more? with Lata Gangadharan, Pushkar Maitra and Joseph Vecci, February 10, 2015, Mint.
- Tell us what you really think: Measuring gender attitudes in Haryana with Diva Dhar and Seema Jayachandran, July 18, 2014, Ideas for India.
- Should bribe-givers be let off? March 28, 2013, Ideas for India.
- Book review of S. Thorat and K. Newman (eds.) "Blocked by Caste: Economic Discrimination in Modern India," Economic and Political Weekly, Feb 27, 2010, 45(9), 35--37.