Homepage of Zhicheng Yan
I'm currently a Research Scientist at Facebook, affiliated with Applied Machine Learning (AML) and Facebook AI Research (FAIR). My work focuses on building large-scale image and video understanding platform. My research interests mainly include computer vision, graphics and machine learning.
I received my Ph.D from Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2016. My supervisor is Prof. Yizhou Yu. Before that, I was a master student in the College of Computer Science and Technology, Zhejiang University and a research assistant of State Key Lab of CAD&CG. My supervisor is Prof. Wei Chen. I completed my Bachelor's degree at Zhejiang University majoring in Software Engineering in July, 2007.
- Our latest work on action classification and localization is online.
11/16/2017, Facebook Computer Vision team have a few opening positions of 2018 summer research internship on video understanding. Please send me an email if you are interested.
- 05/16/2017, new paper on FCN-based video stylization accepted by IEEE TIP.
Internship opportunities: I am happy to work with passionate and talented PhD students on research projects. Opening positions in Spring and Summer 2017 are available now. To apply, send me an email with your resume, mention your research interests and what project you would like to work on. Call for paper. The 1st Workshop on Large Scale Computer Vision Systems will be held during NIPS, 2016.
- The code of hybrid network for semantic segmentation is released.
- 05/24/2016, one paper on learning concept taxonomies is accepted by ACL 2016.
- 03/31/2016, our hybrid network for semantic segmentation is online.
- 02/19/2016, Ph.D thesis defense is completed.
- 12/10/2015, I will join Facebook as a Research Scientist in 2016 summer.
- 08/29/2015, HD-CNN paper is accepted by ICCV 2015.
- 05/18/2015, summer internship@Google Brain starts
- 05/17/2015, code and dataset for the TOG paper 'Automatic Photo Adjustment Using Deep Neural Networks' are released
- 05/17/2015, HD-CNN code is released. Project page is online.
- 02/26/2015, our work 'Automatic Photo Adjustment Using Deep Neural Networks' is accepted by ACM TOG
- 2016.6 ~ Present, Facebook, Menlo Park, CA, Research Scientist
- Working on large-scale visual understanding system
- 2015.5 ~ 2015.8, Google Brain, Mountain View, CA. Research intern.
- Project: Image Semantic Segmentation using RNN
- 2014.5 ~ 2014.8, eBay Research, San Jose, CA. Research Intern.
- Project: Hierarchical Deep Convolutional Neural Network
- 2013.6 ~ 2013.8, IBM Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY. Research intern.
- Project: Large-scale image classification using Convolutional Neural Network
- 2012.5 ~ 2012.8, Google Research, NYC. Research intern.
- Project: large-scale object retrieval.
- 2009.6 ~ 2010.6, Bosch Research Center, Palo Alto, CA. 3D graphics intern.
- Project: real time non-photorealistic rendering (NPR) and procedural modeling with applications in automobile navigation system.
- Oral presentation, "Automatic Photo Adjustment Using Deep Neural Networks". ACM SIGGRAPH, Anaheim, CA, 2016
- Oral presentation, "HD-CNN: Hierarchical Deep Convolutional Neural Network for Large Scale Visual Recognition", UIUC Coordinated Science Lab (CSL) Student Conference, 2016
- Invited talk, "Image Recognition,Semantic Segmentation and Photo Adjustment Using Deep Neural Networks", Nanjing University, China, 2015
- Oral presentation, "Semantic Segmentation Using RNN Models", Google Brain, Mountain View, CA, 2015
- Poster. Sparse Similarity Matrix Learning for Object Retrieval. International Joint Conference On Neural Networks, IJCNN 2013, Dallas, TX
- Oral presentation, "Nonrigid 3D Object Retrieval Using Modal Space Transform", ICMR 2013. Dallas, TX
- Oral presentation, "Volume Illustration of Muscles from Diffusion Tensor Images", IEEE Visualization 2009, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Oral presentation, "Context-awareVolume Modeling of SkeletalMuscles", EuroVis 2009, Berlin, Germany
Awards and Honors
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad, 2015
- Doctoral Consortium with Travel Grant, ICCV 2015
- Graduate Colleage Conference Travel Grant, UIUC, 2015
- Tencent Technology Scholarship (Top 1%, including ¥10000), Highest Honor for Graduate Students in Zhejiang University, 2009
- Qimonda Technology Scholarship (Top 5%, including ¥5000), Zhejiang University, 2008
- First-Class Scholarship (Top 3%), Excellent Student Prizes for consecutive 2 years, Zhejiang University, 2008 – 2009
- Final Term Project of Excellence, Excellent Graduate, Zhejiang University, 2007
- International Exchange Program Scholarship (Top 3%), Zhejiang University, 2007
- Excellent Student Prizes for consecutive 3 years, Zhejiang University, 2004 – 2006
- Learning Concept Taxonomies from Multi-modal Data [Paper]
Hao Zhang, Zhiting Hu, Yuntian Deng, Mrinmaya Sachan, Zhicheng Yan and Eric Xing
ACL: Association for Computational Linguistics, 2016 (25.4% acceptance rate)
- HD-CNN: Hierarchical Deep Convolutional Neural Network for Large Scale Visual Recognition. [Paper] [Project] [Code] [Poster] [Video]
Zhicheng Yan, Hao Zhang, Robinson Piramuthu, Vignesh Jagadeesh, Dennis DeCoste, Wei Di, Yizhou Yu
ICCV: International Conference on Computer Vision 2015 (~20% acceptance rate)
Wei Chen, Zhicheng Yan, Song Zhang, John Allen Crow, David S. Ebert, R. McLaughlin, K. Mullins, R. Cooper, Zi’ang Ding, Jun Liao.
IEEE VIS/TVCG: IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics. (Proceedings Visualization / Information Visualization 2009) (~27% acceptance rate)
- A Novel Interface for Interactive Exploration of DTI Fibers. [Paper]
Wei Chen, Zi’ang Ding, Song Zhang, Anna MacKay-Brandt, Stephen Correia, Huamin Qu, John Allen Crow, David F. Tate, Zhicheng Yan, Qunsheng Peng.
IEEE VIS/TVCG: IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (Proceedings Visualization / Information Visualization 2009), (~27% acceptance rate).
Last update on 12/31/2017