Sussex Study Experience
Raising attainment, supporting success
About the programme
What is Sussex Study Experience?
Sussex Study Experience (SSE) is an extended programme designed to offer you a real experience of university life both socially and academically. You will visit us here on campus over a number of days and take part in a Welcome Day, academic subject days, careers day and a Graduation Ceremony. All subject days are delivered by university academic staff using university facilities.
You will choose one subject to study for your academic sessions.
What does Sussex Study Experience involve?
The programme takes place from January to May, in which time you’ll participate in six events:
- Welcome Day (12th January)
- Academic Sessions x3 (January-April) & optional field trip
- Careers Day (2nd March)
- Graduation Ceremony (11th May)
You will be expected to attend all of these sessions to graduate from the programme.
Why should you be part of the programme?
- Study with a leading academic in their chosen subject and discover innovative research in that subject and beyond
- Meet like-minded peers and gain confidence
- Develop a richer understanding of your chosen subject at undergraduate level
- Answer your questions about university life
- Help yourself make informed choices about your future
As part of the programme we provide successful applicants the following:
- Free travel to and from campus (via public transport)
- Free lunch on each visit to campus
- Reduced grade tariff offer for the University of Sussex
What do you need to do next?
If you’d like to be part of this aspiration and attainment raising programme apply online now.
You must be studying A-levels or BTEC in the area you are applying for
You must meet at least one of following criteria to be eligible for a place:
- First in your family to go to university (excluding siblings)
- In receipt of free school/College meals within 5 years
- Young carer
- Local Authority Care
- Have a disability
- Mature Learner
- Receiving financial support (bursaries) from your post 16 provider