Since its launch, more than 1,000 women have attended our college fairs and workshops and over $50,000 scholarships have been awarded to women who were striving to meet their educational goals.
Established in 2002, Women Empowered (WE), formerly, Women in Transition (WIT), is a non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to helping women complete their post-secondary education. WE works with area colleges, universities, and women’s organizations to host two annual events, at which participants
- receive career assessments
- learn about financial aid
- hear testimonials from past WE scholarship recipients
- participate in a scholarship drawing.
All proceeds from these events and outside donations are used to host future events and fund the fall scholarships.
WE welcomes women of all ages, ethnic groups, socioeconomic levels, and lifestyles. Nonetheless, over the past 12+ years, a typical profile has emerged:
- 70% are single, divorced, widowed, or separated
- 80% are potential first-generation college students
- 50% are 150% below federal poverty guidelines
Women Empowered (WE), formerly Women in Transition, (WIT), is a non-profit organization working under the 501c3 of the Tulsa Community Foundation, in cooperation with Tulsa Community College, Tulsa City-County Library, OSU-Tulsa, Tulsa Technology Center, and the Educational Opportuity Center (TRIO).