Executive Functioning & Study Skills Groups
EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONING / STUDY SKILLS GROUPS
Executive function is a set of mental processes that helps us connect past experience with present action. People use it to perform activities such as planning, organizing, strategizing, paying attention to and remembering details, and managing time and space.
The WiseMind Executive Functioning group program uses real life activities and experiences to teach independence, self-management, decision-making, and problem solving for children ages 6 to 17. The goal is for youth to transfer ownership of their responsibilities from their parents/guardians to themselves.
Skills learned during sessions can be applied at all grade levels and areas of life. Individuals are supported to help gain the independence, confidence, and mastery that are necessary for success in school, in work, and beyond.
WiseMind's Executive Functioning group program is a growth-promoting environment that provides children with the “scaffolding” that helps them practice necessary skills before they must perform them alone.
WiseMind delivers an executive skills training program to help children master academic and life skills, including:
- Prioritization (doing “first things first”)
- Planning and organizing projects (“road mapping”)
- Anticipating how long a project will take to complete (time management)
- Self-monitoring and modifying behavior to meet goals
- Shifting mental gears/thinking flexibly
- Telling stories (verbally or in writing) and communicating details in an organized, sequential manner
- Memorizing, accessing, and using information from memory
- Initiating activities or tasks without procrastinating
- Generating ideas independently