WiseMind Center for Social & Emotional Learning (SEL)
About WiseMind Center for Social & Emotional Learning
WiseMind Center for Social and Emotional Learning is a private, community based, enrichment and learning center that fosters the social and emotional development of children and families, and empowers it’s clients with the tools and skills they need to help them thrive and succeed in all aspects of life.
What is Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. -- © CASEL 2018
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) encompasses five core competencies:
- SOCIAL AWARENESS
- RELATIONSHIP SKILLS
- RESPONSIBLE DECISION-MAKING
What are some of the benefits of SEL?
- Increased positive social behaviors and attitudes
- Improved interpersonal skills such as empathy and teamwork
- Greater academic achievement
- Fewer conduct problems
- Less emotional distress
- Increased coping skills
- Greater self-esteem and sense of mastery
Examples of how WiseMind uses Social and Emotional Learning in group settings:
- Use modeling and coaching to teach children to recognize how they feel or how someone else might be feeling.
- Prompt and guide students through the steps used for conflict resolution, which can help them use learned skills in new situations.
- Conduct group meetings where members can practice group decision-making and setting rules in a democratic way.
- Learn and practice cooperation and teamwork through participation in team activities and games.
- Teach reflective listening through alternate speaking and paraphrasing what was heard.