Education through Exploration
To protect the world’s ocean by teaching and inspiring a new generation of ocean and environmental stewards…Citizen Scientist Aquanauts.
Sea Exploration and Aquanautics Simulations, Training and Analog Research
Blending citizen science, marine science and diving science principles to provide a novel “education through exploration” learning program focused on inspiring a new generation of ocean and environmental stewards.
Citizen Scientist Aquanaut® participants will experience first-hand what life is like under the sea. After all, you can't earn the title of "Aquanaut" without living at least 24 hours underwater. In addition to a 24-hour undersea habitat experience, participants will learn about diving physics and physiology, citizen science opportunities in oceanography and marine sciences, utilize dive tools to perform safe underwater cleanup of coral reefs, conduct fish identification, as well as experience what it’s like to work on the Moon or Mars while performing tasks on seafloor excursions from the habitat.
The SEA STAR program blends citizen science, marine science, diving science, and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) principles to provide a novel “education through exploration” learning program to support its mission of enabling and inspiring a new generation of ocean and environmental stewards.
It is through programs such as SEA STAR that everyday people have the opportunity to contribute in a significant and meaningful way to the collective body of knowledge and understanding of Earth's oceans.
Join us for our Inaugural Course
March 28th & 29th, 2020!
Extended Holiday Pricing $1399 per person ($1000 savings per person)
Course Tuition Includes
- Online Citizen Scientist and Fish Identification courses delivered via learning management system
- Undersea habitat mission in Key Largo, Florida
- Experienced Dive Master divers and facilitators
- Fish Identification and Count Dive
- Understand the relationship between Astronauts and Aquanauts
- Learn how to work around the coral reefs to protect them from injury
- Tanks, tank fills and dive gear
- 3 PADI Diving Specialties (described to the right)
- Pizza in the Habitat!
- 2.5 hour glass bottom boat coral reef tour at John Kennekamp Coral Reef State Park
- Gear Pack (t-shirt, mission sticker, underwater slate and pencil)
- 1 year REEF membership and $20 donation
- Course Materials
Saturday 9am - check in at Jules' Undersea Lodge.
Saturday - full day of diving including fish survey and 3 PADI certifications
Sunday 9am - Check out of Jules' Undersea Lodge
Sunday 10am - 3pm - Self Guided Tour of the John Kennekamp Coral Reef State Park Environmental Education and Visitor Center; Enjoy picnicking and swimming until time to check into the boat tour
Sunday 3:00pm - Check in for 3:15pm 2.5 hour glass bottom boat coral reef tour at John Kennekamp Coral Reef State Park
The SEA STAR’s Citizen Scientist Aquanaut Program is very similar to a hybrid continuing education and/or personal development program, combining multiple methods of instructional delivery, including online, home study, and “ground school” (in-person, hands-on instruction). The training flow is designed to provide Participants with an opportunity to apply the academic knowledge gained from the online coursework to hands-on practical application in multiple diving, citizen science, and undersea habitat systems during the undersea habitat mission and training in Key Largo, Florida. Upon successful completion of all program elements, participants receive a certificate of completion from the SEA STAR program, and earn the following Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) diving credentials:
- PADI Aquanaut
- PADI Inner Space Diver
- PADI Underwater Maintenance
Get a hot and fresh pizza delivered straight to you!
DAN recommends not flying until 18 hours after multiple dives and the US Air Force recommends not flying until 24 hours after diving
Don't forget to bring your dive certification cards. There will be an additional charge at Jules to search for your certification
You are free to depart Sunday anytime you are finished at the John Kennekamp Coral Reef State Park
Recommend rental car from Miami airport, drive private vehicle or various shuttles from Miami airport that run the entire Keys.
As a recommendation, You should seriously consider not diving if you:
- Have a history of heart disease, heart attack, or heart or blood vessel surgery
- Have a history of high blood pressure, angina, or take medication to control blood pressure
- Have had chest surgery
- Have a history of seizures, dizziness, blackouts or fainting, convulsions or epilepsy, or take medications to prevent them
- Have a history of respiratory problems or disease
- Have a history of lung disease
- Have had emphysema or tuberculosis
- Have had a collapsed lung (pneumothorax)
- Have a history of ear disease, hearing loss, or problems with balance
- Have a history of sinus problems
- Have a history of ear or sinus surgery
- Have any psychological reasons that would prevent you from diving
- Have a history of colostomy (a surgical opening that connects the colon to the surface of the abdomen)
- Have diabetes
- Have asthma
- Have recently had an operation or serious illness
- Have a nervous system disorder
- Have a history of bleeding or other blood disorders
- Are under the care of a physician or have a chronic illness
- Have had difficulty with your ears
- Are claustrophobic or have panic attacks
- Are currently suffering from a cold or congestion
Because our partners have full schedules, we must strictly adhere to the following cancellation policy:
- Cancellations fourteen days or more prior to reservation will receive a 50% refund of your deposit
- NO refund for cancellations within fourteen days prior to reservation
- You may reschedule your reservation for a fee of $50 per person
- If the reservation must be cancelled due to a hurricane evacuation, you may reschedule at no cost