VBEA was established in 1976 for the purpose of advancing and improving business education in Virginia. Members are afforded opportunities for professional development, leadership, training, and recognition. Yearly teaching recognition and scholarships are awarded at the annual summer conference.
The purposes of the Virginia Business Education Association are to advance and improve business education in Virginia. The Association engages in a variety of activities to achieve these purposes including:
- Research projects
- Dissemination of information through newsletters, conferences/ workshops, and on-line resources
- The sponsorship of professional conferences and workshops promoting "best practices" and state-of-the-art technology applications for teaching business courses
- The sponsorship and granting of awards and scholarships to business educators
- The promotion of legislative issues of importance to business educators
- Cooperation with the Virginia Education Association, the Association of Career and Technical Education, the Virginia Association of Career and Technical Education, the National Business Education Association, the Southern Business Education Association, and Delta Pi Epsilon to advance and improve the profession