Our RCIA is open to everyone! You do not have to be a university student or a member of the UCCC. All are welcome, and anyone can join at any time.
RCIA is the way most non-Catholic adults become Catholic. It is also great for Catholic adults who have not yet received the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Our meetings run from September to April each year. Participants are welcomed into the Catholic Church and receive the Sacraments at the Easter Vigil. The next Easter Vigil is Saturday, April 20, 2019.
There is no cost, no registration paperwork, and no strict requirement to start in September.
We meet most Thursday nights from 7 to 8:30 pm at St. Bernard's Church, which is just south of the Foothills Hospital in Parkdale at 711 37 Street NW.
Simply drop in to any meeting if you are curious or want more information. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will reply right away!
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:
What is RCIA?
- the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
- a program of Christian formation based on the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- short presentations followed by discussion
- an opportunity to ask questions, to share your faith, and to encounter Jesus Christ
Who may attend?
- those who want to receive Baptism, Confirmation, or First Holy Communion
- those who want to rediscover their Catholic faith
- those who want to learn more about Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church
What topics do you cover?
- human reason and divine revelation
- God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit
- Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition
- the Pope, Mary, and the Saints
- the seven Sacraments and prayer
- Catholic moral and social teaching
Do I have to become Catholic?
- you are free to decide if you want to receive the Sacraments that apply to your situation
- you may stop attending at any time, no questions asked
Do I need a sponsor?
- you can start attending without a sponsor
- you will need a sponsor by January if you decide you want to receive the Sacraments at the Easter Vigil
- we will explain who can and cannot be your sponsor
- we will help you find a sponsor, so you need not worry about finding one on your own