The Women’s Issues group meets from 7-9pm in Village Hall, 25 Platttekill Ave., New Paltz, on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of every month. All are welcome to join us for one meeting or on an ongoing basis.
If you are interested in joining us, please contact
The Women’s Issues group is working on the passage of the Reproductive Health Act (RHA) and the Comprehensive Contraceptive Coverage Act (CCCA) in New York State. The RHA would make New York compliant with Roe vs. Wade. It has been stalled in the Senate for eight years. The CCCA would mandate insurance coverage of FDA approved contraceptive methods in New York. It, too, has been held up in the Senate by the Majority Leader, Senator John Flanagan.
Women’s Issues have become part of a larger coalition of reproductive rights groups in New York, including the NYCLU. Last year we travelled to Albany to lobby our New York State senator, John Bonacic, and the leader of the Independent Democratic Caucus, (IDC), Senator Jeff Klein.
This year our activities include:
- Participation in the Women’s Suffrage anniversary celebration in Kingston, NY, in October 2017
- Participation in the Women’s March in NYC, January 20, 2018
- Presentation of the CCCA to U-ACT membership at the meeting March 11, 2018, 4-5 pm at the Woodland Pond Community Room
- Lobby with Planned Parenthood in Albany, Tuesday, March 13th
- Presentation of the CCCA to SUNY students, Thursday, April 12TH, 7-8 PM
- Viewing of the movie, Birthright: A War Story, and a discussion of the RHA. Date, time and place to be set for a Saturday in May
Comprehensive Contraceptive Coverage Act (CCCA) Brochure Reproductive health Act (RHA) Brochure