Spring Break Mission Trips
Serve. Grow in your faith.
Be challenged. Love more.
SPRING BREAK WEEK: March 11-18th, 2018
WHY DO WE GO?
We offer these trips as a response to Jesus' call to serve and be served by others.
Our trips attempt to go beyond service and offer experiences that challenge us in how we live out our faith.
We are asking you to go beyond your comfort zone and engage the world in a new way. We hope these trips shake you, arrest you and change you.
Our trips are a faith-based opportunities for students to pray, reflect, and learn from the people we serve.
These trips are great ways to increase our social awareness, deepen our faith, and have a lot of fun!
HOW DO WE GO?
There are 6 core values that guide how we participate on our Spring Break Mission Trips.
1. Mission - We go because we are sent. Part of our baptismal call is to be Christ for others.
2. Prayer - We cannot hope to do this work without Christ as the center. During the week you will pray. A lot. It is only through prayer that we will overcome whatever hang ups we have that hinder us from authentic relationships.
3. Community - We go as a group, not as individuals. We strive to create a trusted community, both among our group and the places in which we serve.
4. Simplicity - We take only those things we need. We live during the week as simply as we can. We do not want anything to distract us from creating relationships with each other and the people whom we serve with and under.
5. Social Justice - While during the week much of what we do will be short term service, we want you to begin to ask the deeper questions of why. Using Catholic Social Teaching and social analysis as tools to discover these answers, we wish to go beyond merely performing acts of charity to transforming our world into the beloved Kindom of God.
6. Conversion - We want you to be different when you come back. We need you to look at the world different. It is through this conversion that we can begin to do the hard work of justice.
WHERE DO WE GO?
St. Louis, Missouri
Camden, New Jersey
Spencer, West Virginia
These are all tentative. We will have a Spring Break Mission Trip information meeting on Sunday, November 12th, 2017 with more information.
STUDENT PARTICIPATION EXPECTATIONS
Each participant will meet with their Mission Trip group.
- We ask our student to meet prior to leaving to meet with your group. In these meetings, we will build community, pray together, learn more about the site and the issues that affect our site.
- It is important that you are able to commit to this aspect of the experience. Accommodation will be made for those who are on co-op out of town or state. Those in state and those in classes are required to make meetings.
- We expect the teams to meet 6 times before the leave to their mission sites.
Each participant is asked to pay for their trip in full or fund raise.
- The total cost of the trip is required to participate on a trip. Depending on your site, you may need to fund raise to make up the difference between the total cost and your deposit. Please see application information below for more details.
Open Heart and Mind.
- We'd like all students to be open to their experiences on the trips. You might feel a little uncomfortable, but we want you to feel supported. We'd like all our students to participate fully in the week, doing whatever is asked of us, as well as evening prayer and reflection.