Robbie's Free Resource Directory
Sometimes, you need better tools to do the job.
- Legal? All the tools here are merely links to free resources, and thus perfectly legal.
- Link to x is broken! Please let me know if any links are broken by submitting a ticket.
- Why don't you include x? Feel free to shoot me suggestions by submitting a ticket.
- Why are you helping competition? What the mainstream calls 'nerd' culture today is really an offshoot of the original 'hacker' culture. The term 'hacker' didn't always have a negative connotation -it was about open sharing of knowledge. I wouldn't have been able to do what I have done without these open-minded communities. I want to give back.
- What's the goal of this page? I want to build a list of the best resources out there. A list that would make younger me say,
"Wow, nice! Bookmarking that!"
Amazing Communities & Learning
- Bleeping Computer - One of the best computer forums, malware databases, process databases, etc. A go-to resource for malware research.
- StackExchange - StackExchange maintains quality answers to things in nearly every category (unlike Yahoo Answers... *cough*) by gamifying and setting in place policies to ban low-quality answers and duplicate questions. Definitely search for questions like your own before posting!
- /r/techsupport - Reddit's tech support forum.
- /r/thinkpad - Reddit's ThinkPad forum, my go-to community for arguably the best line of laptops ever created. See here for the Used ThinkPad Buyer's Guide (Probably why you're here to begin with!).
- GEGeek - An organization featuring an even bigger reference of info and tools than I have here. It's a bit overwhelming.
- DTNS - The Daily Tech News Show is a one-stop-shop for tech news, and has a great Reddit community.
- Breaking Your Addiction & I Hate P-rn - Excellent articles on breaking addictions to online content and the side-effects of p-rnography.
- Free classes through GCF, TechTalk, and Lynda - and tutorial articles on nearly anything with HowToGeek. Free lessons on LibreOffice from Sapentia Open Learning.
- The 'Awesome Sysadmin' resource and education list.
- The 'Awesome DevOps' resource and education list.
- The 'Python Cheatsheet' - Really a great, extensive list.
- The 'Python Beginner's Guide' - Official source.
- 'Automate the Boring Stuff' - Free and practical book on using Python.
- Ops School Curriculum - Get started with Ops/System Administration, fast.
- More secure router list
- Linux Mint Tweak guide
- Windows 10 Update Blocker
- TechSoup - Reduced price software for Non-Profits
Free Software and Simple Tools
- Revo Uninstaller - Helps with uninstallation of buggy applications on Windows.
- CCleaner - Performs system maintenance.
- WinDirStat - See what's taking up your harddrive space.
- Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP)
- ImgBurn - Free, full-featured burning software
- F.Lux - Makes the screen easier to look at after extended periods of time. Apple and Microsoft have both recently built this feature into their operating systems, but this software allows you to have blue-light filters on earlier releases - or, if you wish, more granular control.
- ShotCut Video Editor - The best free and simple video editor.
- Freemake Tools - One stop shop for downloading and converting videos from and to any format. Watch out for malware in the installer - uncheck everything!
- PC Decrapifier - Heard of Microsoft Signature? It's basically just a PC confirmed by Microsoft to have no included junkware. This is the closest thing to automating the process of removing said junkware from your store-bought PC.
- Defraggler - Best tool for defragmenting that aging harddrive. Have an SSD or Windows 10? You probably don't need this.
- Speccy - Need to know the specs of that machine? Gotcha covered.
- Listary - This tool makes file-browsing in Windows a breeze for keyboard-players. Allows you to open a prompt anywhere.
- DeskDrive - Finally, a tool that shows plugged in storage media like Mac OS and Linux DE's.
- MyDefrag - Advanced defragmenting tool with a unique 'defrag on screensaver' option. Not really needed if you have an SSD, or Windows 7 and above.
- Windows Live Essentials 2012 - Includes Windows Live Mail, Movie Maker, and so on. Functions in Windows 10(as of January 2018), but you might need to reinstall after every major update. Other things in this list work better than the stuff in Essentials (due to age and compatibility) but I am including for those who need it.
- ShotCut Video Editor is free, opensource, and works well. There is a learning curve, however.
- Davinci Resolve is a free(for the standard version), high-end and powerful video editor. It seems they're targeting those who want to stop stealing Adobe's suite or FinalCut, as it really is that powerful. Cross-platform! Free guide.
- Mailspring is a fork of the discontinued Nylas/N1 email client. Cross-platform and free for all standard features.
- Joy2Key - Great to map keyboard keys to joysticks and controllers/pads.
- x360ce - Great to do the reverse of the above - make up a virtual controller from any combo of buttons.
- ColdTurkey - Keeps you productive by blocking the things that aren't.
- Adobe Flash Uninstaller - Remove a vulnerability.
- Ninite's quick, easy software bulk install tool.
ProTip: Need to backup your most important documents, automatically? Check out the free or paid versions of Dropbox!
Teamviewer Cross platform!
Chrome Remote Desktop Free, nag-less and crossplatform-ish!
Microsoft QuickAssist - Built in to all x86 Windows 10 devices.
AntiVirus Removal Tools
- Norton Removal Tool (SYMNRT)
- Mcafee Removal Tool (MCPR)
- Avast! Removal Tool
- AVG Removal Tool 32-bit / 64-bit
- Removal Tools for Other Common AV Programs
Yes, this list is shorter now. I have had poor experiences with all other options of late. Just install uBlock Origin, stay updated, don't torrent, and use Windows Defender.
AntiSpyware / Antimalware
Advanced Tools Section
More technical resources for experienced users. Use at your own risk!
Manual Malware Removal
- RKILL Malware Process Killer
- GMER Easy Rootkit remover, directions included on website
- SMITFRAUDFIX For removal of smitfraud variants
- Combofix For removal of a number of malwares
- HijackThis For manual removal of malware
- VundoFix For manual removal of vundo (WinFixer, Amaena, WinAntiVirus, ErrorSafe, SystemDoctor and DriveCleaner)
- SDFix For manual removal of Trojans and Worms. Must be logged on as admin in safe mode to work properly. If still not working, refer to this page for info.
- VIPRE Rescue Installable rootkit and malware scanner that can be run from command line
- Hitman Pro is one of the best in this list.
Hardware Tests and Utilities
- Memtest86+ - Memory test
- Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics - WD HDD Test (Like GWSCAN, but runs in windows)
- HDDScan - Generic Hard Drive Test tool. Quite powerful.
- SD Card Fixer - This can fix cards that can no longer be read in some circumstances. Life saver.
- SpeedFan - Control your computer's fan speed, and keep on eye on temperature.
- iFunBox - Gain access to the iOS filesystem for manual recovery.
Legacy Direct Updates
Misc. Resources and Fixes
- EasyBCD - Used to modify the Vista/W7 boot configuration database.
- EASEUS Partition tool - Simple partition manager software. Minitool is also good.
- Windows XP File Association Fixes
- Microsoft's own General Help Page
- Windows Vista / 7 File Association Fixes
- Windows Update Online
- LSPFix - repair LSP and winsock - For XP networking issues.
- Blank Host file - Place into C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc if you can't access websites you used to in Windows 7 and earlier.
- MSKB: Messages stuck in Win Mail - Howto fix for a common problem on Windows Vista.
- Reset Registry Permissions - Used to fix "Access Denied" errors installing Service Packs and updates (XP only). Extract, run MSI file, then run CMD file. If window opens then closes right away, copy to and run from C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kit\Tools
- RunOnce Remover - Removes the "Welcome to IE7" on first run
- IE6 Reset Tool - Resets IE6 somewhat like hitting "Reset" in IE7
- Windows XP Installer Fix - Resets and re-registers Windows Installer components (WinXP/2k 32-bit only)
- Windows XP Installer Reinstaller - Removes all versions of Windows Installer, restarts, and starts install of Installer 4.5 (WinXP SP2+)
- Group Policy Installer/Repair for XP Home/Pro
- DriverMax - Copy drivers from one machine to another.
- Kelly's Korner - XP Registry fixes
- Microsoft FixIt Center - Diagnoses common issues and offers solutions.
- Fast Fix For "Admin set policies to prevent this installation" Error - Win XP Only
- Alternative Fix "Admin set policies to prevent this installation" Error - Win XP Only
- Print Spooler Reset Tool - Run, choose "Light Mode" to just reset spooler, choose "Full Mode" to reset everything relating to printers, *Will need to reinstall all printers afterwords*
- Enable Task Manager - Download and run
- Show all Hidden/Nonpresent Devices
- Fix add/remove administrative error
- Autoplay Repair Tool
- Upper/Lower Filter Fix - If your CD/DVD drive won't work in Windows inexplicably, try this.
- CompactGUI - Shrink application file sizes in Windows.
- Legacy ASIO Behringer USB driver - Better than the newer stuff. 32-bit / 64-bit
- EasyCAP drivers for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10
- BIOS password revealer for Dell Latitudes
- Copy iPhone text messages to PC
More advanced tools.
- Windows ISO Database <- This is a goldmine. All legal ISOs from Microsoft, archived.
- Windows Defender Offline
- Windows PE
- Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (English, 64-bit) Direct iso link.
- Windows 7 Professional SP1 (English, 64-bit) Direct iso link.
- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (English, 64-bit) Direct iso link.
- Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (English, 32-bit) Direct iso link.
- Windows 7 Professional SP1 (English, 32-bit) Direct iso link.
- Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (English, 32-bit) Direct iso link.
- Windows Vista 64-bit & 32-bit & Alt-Language Versions
Alternative Operating Systems
Multiboot ISOs and Tools
- Daring Rescue * Note that this is an *.img bundle with some duplicate ISO's.
- Virtual Clone Drive