SHADOW DRILL WEEKENDS
The NSCC allows for up to two drill weekends to be attended before enrollment. This will allow a prospective cadet to determine if the program is right for them.
Attending a shadow drill requires a completed shadow application (link below) and a $30 drill fee; both will be required at check in.
Your Adventure Starts Here!
SHADOW DRILL CHECKLIST
1. Complete the shadow drill application and bring to check-in.
Click the link here: THS Form 110 (Shadow Drill Application)
2. Payment of the $30 drill fee is due with the application.
(Cash or check payable to: Top Hatters Squadron)
3. Prepare for the experience of a lifetime! Real Navy Training on a Real Navy Base.
SHADOW DRILL EXPECTATIONS
For your future Top Hatters Cadet to have a great shadow drill weekend:
- Shadow cadets are not authorized to stay overnight.
- Wearing of comfortable walking shoes, non-formfitting slacks and plain crew neck shirt or polo (no logos/writing) Outerwear (jacket, etc. if desired.)
- Your cadet will experience US Navy dining at the base galley. Real Navy base...Real Navy food.
- Limited access to intensive training evolutions. Due to the liability of not being an enrolled cadet, some functions (such as firing ranges or hands-on small boats training) may have limited participation from shadow cadets - but will be present to observe.
- Uniform items are not issued to shadow cadets until enrollment.
- USNSCC policy prohibits non-enrolled adults to attend drill activities with cadets due to required background checks and specific training requirements. Activities/ceremonies that are open to non-enrolled adults will be announced when scheduled. We appreciate your cooperation with this policy. Be assured, you cadet is in good hands with our well trained and experienced staff.
SHADOW DRILL CHECK-IN & PICK-UP SCHEDULE | With Base Access |
- Check-in Time is at 0715 (7:15 AM)
- Pick-up Time is at 2100 (9:00 PM)
SUNDAY (Join us for Quarters - Optional)
- Check-in Time is at 0715 (7:15 AM)
- Pick-up Time is at 1430 (2:30 PM)
Location: 1776 Gilbert Street (BLDG B-30). 3rd deck. Use door with Sea Cadet Logo/White Contact Magnet Information Plaque.
SHADOW DRILL SCHEDULE | Without Base Access |
The meeting location for dropping off and picking up is:
The Mini-Mart at the NEX complex
1560 Mall Drive, Norfolk, Virginia.
Shuttle Pick-up Time: is at 0715 (7:15 AM) The shuttle will arrive at 0700 (7:00 AM) and depart for B-30 at 0715 (7:15 AM)
If parents wish to check-in with their cadet, our shuttle will depart B-30 at 7:40 AM to return parents to the Mini-Mart at the NEX complex.
Shuttle Drop-off Time: is at 2110 (9:10 PM) (the shuttle will arrive at the NEX complex Mini-Mart)
Shuttle Pick-up Time is at 0700 (7:00 AM) The shuttle will arrive at 0700 (7:00 AM) and depart for B-30 at 0715 (7:15 AM)
(Join us for End-of-Drill Quarters - Optional)
Parents who wish to attend the end-of-drill debriefing can ride with us! The shuttle will arrive at the Mini-Mart at 1335 (1:35 PM) and depart for B-30 at 1345 (1:45 PM)
The shuttle will depart B-30 at at 1445 (2:45 PM) for both parents and cadets going back to the Mini-Mart.
Shuttle drop off time: For parents not attending the optional end-of-drill debriefing, your cadet can be picked up at 1455 (2:55 PM).
A medical examination, similar to a high school sports physical is required for all cadet applicants to the Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) or Navy League Cadet Corps (NLCC). No one will be denied admission to the NSCC/NLCC due to medical disability. Where a medical condition precludes full, unlimited participation, a Request for Accommodation (Click here for: NSCADM 015) may be presented by the parent or guardian for review so the cadet may participate in NSCC activities to the maximum extent possible.