HOW TO JOIN TOP HATTERS
"A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."
Chart Your Course with Us!
Checklist for enrollment:
- Attend an optional indoctrination parents brief, which is held from 1900 - 2100 on Saturday during March, June, and September drill weekends. (Not required as we have open continuous enrollment throughout the year)
- Parent and Cadet interview with Commanding Officer.
- Application Packet - Available at interview
- Complete a physical examination with a physician.
- No one will be denied enrollment due to a medical disability; reasonable accommodations will be made. See our ADA statement below.
- Complete application paperwork and return to unit Commanding Officer.
- Initial enrollment fee $200, yearly thereafter, $100
- Uniform Deposit $50
- Note: a $25 drill fee is required each drill weekend (11 drill weekends per year)
- Summer training (1-2 weeks) fees vary based on training subject and length.
Choose the Adventure!
“I can’t control the winds. But I can adjust the sail.” —Ricky Skaggs
SHADOW DRILL WEEKENDS
The NSCC allows for up to two drill weekends to be attended before enrollment. This will allow a prospective cadet to determine if the program is right for them.
Attending a shadow drill requires a completed shadow application (link below) and a $25 drill fee; both will be required at check in.
Shadow drill weekend to do list...
- Complete THS Form 110 (Shadow Drill Application), and bring to check-in.
- Payment of the $25 drill fee due with application. (cash or check payable to: Top Hatters Squadron)
- Prepare for the experience of a lifetime! Real Navy Training on a Real Navy Base.
See below for schedule and expectations
Sea the difference with us!
We are ready to 'Top' your expectations!
SHADOW DRILL CHECK-IN & PICK-UP SCHEDULE
SHADOW DRILL SCHEDULE WITH BASE ACCESS
- Check-in Time is at 0715 (7:15 AM)
- Pick-up Time is at 2100 (9:00 PM)
SUNDAY (Join us for Quarters - Optional)
- Check-in Time is at 0715 (7:15 AM)
- Pick-up Time is at 1430 (2:30 PM)
Location: 1776 Gilbert Street (BLDG B-30). 3rd deck. Use door with Sea Cadet Logo/White Contact Magnet Information Plaque.
SHADOW DRILL SCHEDULE WITHOUT BASE ACCESS
Need a Lift?
Ride with Us!
The meeting location for dropping off and picking up is:
The Mini-Mart at the NEX complex (outside gate 2) at 1560 Mall Drive, Norfolk, Virginia.
Shuttle Pick-up Time: is at 0715 (7:15 AM) The shuttle will arrive at 0700 (7:00 AM) and depart for B-30 at 0715 (7:15 AM)
If parents wish to check-in with their cadet, our shuttle will depart B-30 at 7:40 AM to return parents to the Mini-Mart at the NEX complex.
Shuttle Drop-off Time: is at 2110 (9:10 PM) (the shuttle will arrive at the NEX complex Mini-Mart)
Shuttle Pick-up Time is at 0715 (7:15 AM) The shuttle will arrive at 0700 (7:00 AM) and depart for B-30 at 0715 (7:15 AM)
(Join us for End-of-Drill Quarters - Optional)
Parents who wish to attend the end-of-drill debriefing can ride with us! The shuttle will arrive at the Mini-Mart at 1335 (1:35 PM) and depart for B-30 at 1345 (1:45 PM)
The shuttle will depart B-30 at at 1445 (2:45 PM) for both parents and cadets going back to the Mini-Mart.
Shuttle drop off time: For parents not attending the optional end-of-drill debriefing, your cadet can be picked up at 1455 (2:55 PM).
SHADOW DRILL EXPECTATIONS
For your future Top Hatters Cadet to have a great shadow drill weekend:
- Shadow cadets are not authorized to stay overnight.
- Wearing of comfortable walking shoes, non-formfitting slacks and plain crew neck shirt or polo (no logos/writing) Outerwear (jacket, etc. if desired.)
- Your cadet will experience US Navy dining at the base galley. Real Navy base...Real Navy food.
- Limited access to intensive training evolutions. Due to the liability of not being an enrolled cadet, some functions (such as firing ranges or hands-on small boats training) may have limited participation from shadow cadets - but will be present to observe.
- Uniform items are not issued to shadow cadets until enrollment.
- USNSCC policy prohibits non-enrolled adults to attend drill activities with cadets due to required background checks and specific training requirements. Activities/ceremonies that are open to non-enrolled adults will be announced when scheduled. We appreciate your cooperation with this policy. Be assured, you cadet is in good hands with our well trained and experienced staff.
A medical examination, similar to a high school sports physical is required for all cadet applicants to the Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) or Navy League Cadet Corps (NLCC). No one will be denied admission to the NSCC/NLCC due to medical disability. Where a medical condition precludes full, unlimited participation, a Request for Accommodation (Click here for: NSCADM 015) may be presented by the parent or guardian for review so the cadet may participate in NSCC activities to the maximum extent possible.
Adult applicants must be in good health, commensurate with their age group and be free from an ailment or condition that would prevent them from satisfactorily performing their primary duty of supervising youth. NOTE: Adults not physically qualified to perform all duties may still participate with a waiver from National Headquarters (NHQ) considering the parameters of their expected contribution to the NSCC program.