The Indian Institutes of Technology, acronym as IITs, are the autonomous public institutes of engineering and technology in India. In the light of Institutes of Technology Act, 1961, the All India Council of Technical Education is the regulatory body of these institutions, and these IITs are governed by the rules and regulations laid down by the AICTE. Presently there are 23 IITs across the country. Since every engineering aspirant has a dream to get admission to these premier institutions, the process is pretty stringent. Candidates must clear the two stages (JEE Main & JEE Advanced) of the admission process for all its undergraduate programs.
NIRF Rank 2018 – Top IIT Colleges in India:
Are you confident to clear both the stages of the Joint Entrance Examination? If so, check the following list of top IIT colleges in India as per National Institution Ranking Framework ranking 2018.
#1 IIT Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu:
As per NIRF ranking 2018, IIT Madras has topped the list amongst the best Indian Institutes of Technology in India. It has also bagged rank 1 spot in engineering and rank 2 in the overall category. The Institute is known to render excellent education.
Courses Offered by IIT Madras –
- B.Tech (Aerospace Engineering, Biotechnology, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.)
- M.Tech (Physics, Mathematics, etc.)
#2 IIT Bombay, Mumbai, Maharashtra:
If engineers love Mumbai for anything other than Bollywood, it would surely be for IIT Bombay. This is the second on the list. The Institute was founded in 1958 by Indian Government in association with the Soviet Union and UNESCO.
Courses Offered by IIT Bombay –
- B.Tech (Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering)
#3 IIT Delhi, New Delhi, Delhi:
Granted “Status of Institute of Eminence”, the Indian Institutes of Technology Delhi is located in Hauz Khas. The Institute was formed in the year 1961 with a vision to bring about a revolution in the arena of scientific and technical education and research.
Courses Offered by IIT Delhi –
- Undergraduate Programmes: B.Tech, Dual Degree and Integrated M.Tech
- Postgraduate Programmes: Ph.D, M.Tech, etc.
#4 IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur, West Bengal:
The first IIT Institute established in 1951 is the Indian Institutes of Technology Kharagpur. It was established with a mission to train scientists and engineers in post-independence. It’s also the largest one having a campus spread in 8.5 square kilometers (Approx. 2100 acres). The official statistics reveal that this institution has the maximum number of student enrollment rate. After clearing JEE Main and JEE advanced, students can apply for admission to a four-year B.Tech, a five-year B.Arch, a five-year Integrated Bachelor of Technology and Master of Technology and a five-year integrated MSc (Master of Sciences) programmes.
Courses Offered by IIT Kharagpur –
- B.Tech (Biotechnology, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, etc.)
- M.Tech (Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Information Technology, etc.)
#5 IIT Kanpur, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh:
Stands at the fifth spot, IIT Kanpur is certainly one of the elite engineering colleges in India that any budding engineer would love to get into. The Institute was established in the year 1959.
Courses Offered by IIT Kanpur –
- B.Tech (Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.)
- M.Tech (Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.)