Our Vision of Education
Students need to explore their place in society and nature. We envision a secular education in which students are engaged in authentic project based work having meaningful impacts on their community and themselves. Their day should exist in a variety of physical spaces that allow for balance in fulfilling their social, emotional, physical, and intellectual needs. They should be exploring and engaging in the work of local farms, school gardens, woodlands, prairies, streams, public spaces, local businesses, university labs, museums, etc. to mold their place in society and the natural world. In order to make these types of experiences meaningful, groups sizes should be kept smaller.
Students should take an active role in the day-to-day operations of their school including management of the school campus, food preparation, museum curation, travel arrangement, scheduling, and any other decision making they can partake in. Student and staff relationships are real and long-lasting.
SPREAD THE WORD
Thank you for supporting us on this meaningful journey to explore and implement the future of education in Iowa, we'll continue to take steps to push the boundaries of educational innovation in Iowa.
Please spread the word about this opportunity to people who might be interested in supporting our work or have children who might be interested in a unique experience.
Don't hesitate to contact us with ideas and questions at TheCommunityAcademyAmes@gmail.com
If you are able to help support our work, here are a couple ways you can support a different model of education in our community:
- Send The Community Academy a check:
- Make checks out to: The Community Academy
- Please make sure to include your address so we can send you an acknowledgement for tax purposes.
- Send the check along with your name and address to:
The Community Academy
P.O. Box 204
Ames, IA 50010
- Click on this link to donate money directly to The Community Academy using a credit card or PayPal account (please include your address, so we can send you an acknowledgement for tax purposes):
- Use Venmo to directly transfer money to The Community Academy
- Our Venmo account is: @TheCommunityAcademy
Thank you for supporting us on this meaningful journey to explore and implement the future of education in Iowa.
Mike Todd, Collin Reichert, Melissa May-Maxey, Ania Chamberlin, and Andi Todd.