Best Blogs & Podcasts
Best Blogs and Podcasts for Educators
Dr. Wesley Fryer
Guest Speaker - Dr. Wesley Fryer
Dr. Wesley Fryer (@wfryer) is a teacher, author, speaker, and the Director of Technology for Casady School in Oklahoma City. He is the co-host of the weekly “EdTech Situation Room” webshow and podcast (@edtechSR). His blog is, Moving at the Speed of Creativity.
He is the author of several books on effectively using digital technologies to communicate, tell stories, create media projects and develop STEM coding skills. (www.wesfryer.com/books)
Access his slide deck at http://wfryer.me/ideas
Podcasts - http://wiki.wesfryer.com/podcasts
Join us to get a great list of blogs and podcasts that can motivate, excite, and spark your passion for teaching!
In Today's Session:
- Defining Terms
- Awesome Blogs & Podcasts
- RSS Aggregators & OPML
- Tracking Bloggable Content with Flipboard, Nuzzel, Pocket
- Getting Started with Blogging and Podcasting Resources
(Shared Video folder)
- Blog: A web site you can subscribe to via Real Simple Syndication (RSS) where a writer or group of writers express their reflections on a subject, piece of writing (e.g. research, other blog entry). Blogs are organized in reverse chronological order, the most recent entry at the top of the page, include categories and one word descriptors (tags).
- Podcast: Audio or video (a.k.a. "vidcast") embedded in an RSS feed, usually a blog, that can be subscribed to.
- RSS Aggregator: A web site or program that allows you to subscribe and organize RSS feeds from blogs. RSS Aggregators can usually import or export an OPML file that contains the complete list of subscribed blogs.
Need more details? Read this blog entry on the subject!
2-Awesome Blogs & Podcast
Educators from around the world are authoring and producing awesome blogs and podcasts. Below, you'll find 5 of my favorites, designed to inspire and motivate.
In each category, you will find an OPML file (more on that later) that you can save to your computer then import into your favorite RSS aggregator. This will get you a comprehensive list of blogs and podcasts that you can add or subtract from.
3- RSS Aggregators & Other Podcatchers
Text to Speech Tools (TTS) for Narrated Blog Entries
Have a lot of blog entries but don't necessarily want to read them? Why not have the Pocket app read them to you?
Simply save blogs, web sites, whatever to Pocket, then view each one and tap the Text To Speech (TTS) option!
As shown right, this provides another way to listen to your favorite blog entries, as well as web sites that you save to Pocket.
View tutorial for Pocket TTS on Android, iOS, Mac and Windows.
Finding and Tracking Bloggable Content with Mobile Curation Tools
Blogging and Podcasting in the Classroom
- Why Listening to Podcasts Helps Improve Reading Skills
- Teens Create Podcast as Final Exam
- Fifty Creative Writing Prompts for Student Blogging (Contributed by Dr. Bruce Ellis)
- Classroom Blogging Options by Dr. Wes Fryer
- Google Search Results from "Blogging in the Classroom"
- Google Search Results from "Podcasting in the Classroom"