Professor, University of Bordeaux (GREThA)
Senior Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
tanguy.bernard'at'u-bordeaux.fr / t.bernard'at'cgiar.org
Published and forthcoming papers
Published and forthcoming papers
- "Ask me why: Using vignettes to understand patterns of intrahousehold decision making in rural Senegal", with Cheryl Doss, Melissa Hidrobo, Jessica B. Hoel, Caitlin Kieran. World Development, forthcoming
- Comments by Markus Goldstein on World Bank's Development Impact blog,
- Blog on the Policies Market and Institutions program website of the CGIAR
- "Revisiting farm size-productivity relationship: New empirical evidence from Ethiopia", with Solomon Wassie and Gashaw Abate, Agrekon, 2019.
- "Correlated Non-Classical Measurement Errors, ‘Second Best’ Policy Inference and the Inverse Size-Productivity Relationship in Agriculture", with Kibrom Abay, Gashaw Abate, and Chrys Barrett, Journal of Development Economics., 2019.
- "Parental Aspirations for Children’s Education: Is There a “Girl Effect?” Experimental Evidence from Rural Ethiopia", with Stefan Dercon, Kate Orkin and Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, American Economic Review P&P, 2019.
- "Nutrition-based incentives in dairy contract farming in Northern Senegal", with Melissa Hidrobo, Agnès Le Port and Rahul Rawat, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2018 Summary on IFPRI
- “The Impact of the Use of New Technologies on Farmers' Wheat Yield in Ethiopia: Evidence from a Randomized Control Trial”, with Gashaw Abate, Alan de Brau and Nick Minot, Agricultural Economics, 2018 Summary by Reuters Foundation
- "Expected Product Market Reforms and Technology Adoption by Senegalese Onion Producers." With Alain de Janvry, Elisabeth Sadoulet and Samba Mbaye, American Journal of Agricultural Economics; 2017. Summary on Voxdev
- “Delivery of iron-fortified yoghurt, through a dairy value chain program, increases hemoglobin concentration among children 24 to 59 months old in Northern Senegal: a cluster-randomized control trial”, with Agnes Leport, Melissa Hidrobo, Rahul Rawat, Ousmane Birba and Marie Ruel, Plos One ; 2017
- “Will video kill the radio star? Assessing the potential of video-based interventions”, with Kate Orkin and Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, World Bank Economic Review, 2015
- “Social Interaction Effects and Connection to Electricity: Experimental Evidence from Rural Ethiopia”, with Maximo Torero, Economic Development and Cultural change, 2015
- “Aspirations: an approach to measurement with validation using Ethiopian data”, with Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, Journal of African Economies 2014.
- “Returns to Scope? Smallholders commercialization through multipurpose cooperatives in Ethiopia", with Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, Journal of African Economies 2012
- “Impact Evaluations: a tool for accountability? Lessons from experience at AFD”, with Jocelyne Delarue and Jean-David Naudet Journal of Development Effectiveness 2012
- “Do Community Sharing Norms Constrain the Emergence, Configuration, and Activities of Market-Oriented Organization ? A Study for Burkina Faso”, with Alain de Janvry and Elisabeth Sadoulet, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2010.
- “Impact analysis of rural electrification projects in Sub-Saharan Africa”, World Bank Research Observer. 2010
- “The Burkinabè Cotton Story 1992-2009: Sustainable Success or another Red Herring?”, with Jonathan Kaminski and Derek Headey”, World Development. 2010
- “Do Village Organizations make a difference in African rural development ? A study for Senegal and Burkina Faso”, with Alain de Janvry, Marie-Helene Collion, Pierre Rondot and Elisabeth Sadoulet. World Development, 2008.
- “Heterogeneous impacts of cooperatives on smallholders' commercialization behavior: evidence from Ethiopia” with Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse and Eleni Gabre-Madhin. Agricultural Economics, 2008.
- “Cooperatives and the poor: who’s in, who’s out? A study of marketing cooperatives in rural Ethiopia” with David Spielman, Food Policy, 2007.
- "Cheap talk and coordination in the ab and in the field: collective commercialization in Senegal", with Fo Kodjo Aflagah and Angelino Viceisza, NBER working paper 26045, July 2019
- "Accelerating technical change through video-mediated agricultural extension: Evidence from Ethiopia", with Gashaw Abate, Simrin Makhija and David Spielman. IFPRI Discussion Paper 01851, June 2019
- "Productive inefficiency in dairy farming and cooperation between spouses, evidence from Senegal", with Jessica Hoel, Melissa Hidrobo and Maha Ashour, IFPRI Discussion paper, December 2017.
- “Farmers’ quality assessment of their crops and its impact on commercialization behavior: A field experiment in Ethiopia”, with Gashaw A. Tadesse, IFPRI Discussion Paper, 2017.
- “Communication and coordination: Experimental evidence from farmer groups in Senegal”, with Fo Kodjo Dzinyefa Aflagah and Angelino Viceisza, IFPRI Discussion Paper, 2015.
- "Building trust in rural producers organizations in Senegal: results from a randomized controlled trial", with Markus Frölich, Andreas Landman, Pia Naima Unte, and Agelino Viceisza, IZA Discussion Paper, 2015
- "The Future in Mind: Aspirations and Forward-Looking Behaviour in Rural Ethiopia", with Stefan Dercon, Kate Orkin and Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, CEPR Discussion Paper. Related blog on IFPRI website, Oxford's CSAE blog, World Bank Impact Evaluation blog, mention in the New York Times,
- "Beyond Fatalism: an Empirical Exploration of Self-Efficacy and Aspirations Failures in Ethiopia", with Stefan Dercon and Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, IFPRI Discussion Paper.
- "Randomizing the Last Mile: a methodological note on using voucher-based approach to assess the impact of infrastructure projects", with Maximo Torero, IFPRI Discussion Paper.