Taking Care of Your Teeth with No Dental Supplies
Running short of dental supplies and then facing inability to get the new ones sounds pretty unlikely. But, there can be a number of situations in which you may actually find yourself facing these circumstances. For instance, a hiking tour or a camping adventure that would be based on a number of days may not allow you to keep your dental supplies running for the full duration.
In such situations, an easy solution is to use your own t-shirt as you can put the cloth on your finger and then use it to clean your gums and teeth. However, this method may not remain effective in the long run. You don’t want your teeth to develop cavity. So, you will have to find better alternatives when it comes to taking care of your dental and oral health.
Since you do not have dental supplies, you will need to look around you in order to find something that can help you keep your teeth and gums clean. There are a lot of natural items which can provide help.
You will need to find a tree which would have fibrous branches. It wouldn’t be very difficult to find one. Now, you will need to break off a twig having the size of a toothbrush. Now, you will need to fray one side of the twig by chewing it. This chewed part can now be used as a toothbrush. One thing that you may find interesting here is that this way of cleaning teeth is still popular in many cultures around the world. There are a lot of trees which have the natural chemical composition to provide amazing results when their twigs are used for dental cleaning this way.
When you are on a hunting tour for a number of days, it is very possible for you to run out of your dental supplies. While you can use twig as toothbrush, you may want to find something that would resemble a toothpick. For this purpose, you can use small bones from the birds you would hunt.
Water is something without which you cannot survive. No matter how deep you are into the woods, you will have to make sure that you have enough water to ensure your survival. Here, you also have to make sure that the amount of water allows you to take care of your dental and oral hygiene. Normally, you will be able to find clean water for drinking deep into the woods.
Be careful about the foods you eat
When you are on an adventurous tour, chances are you are not going to get emergency dental care during any phase of that trip. So, you will have to make sure that you are not eating any foods which can be problematic for your teeth. Fruits with higher acidity levels and foods that can get stuck between the teeth should be avoided.
Things You Need To Know About Dry Mouth
Mouth dryness can be quite uncomfortable when you wake up. You may feel like your tongue is dirty. And no matter how much water you drink, you feel like the dryness never going away.
The term used for mouth dryness is ‘xerostomia’, and it is associated with the reduced production of saliva. Saliva is quite important for speaking, eating and tasting the foods. Some common issues which occur as a result of mouth dryness mainly include dry & chapped lips, difficulty speaking, bad breath, sore throat, mouth sores, coughing fits, and tooth decay.
Reasons for dry mouth
Mouth dryness is prevalent in senior citizens. Nevertheless, it can also appear as a side effect of certain medications as well as a direct symptom of certain oral and overall health conditions. Some common reasons for mouth dryness mainly include diabetes, HIV, dehydration, smoking, excessive drinking and drug use.
Women can also suffer from xerostomia during pregnancy.
How to treat dry mouth
If you face the problem of xerostomia, there are a number of solutions that you can consider.
- If you think that your medication is causing mouth dryness, you need to talk to your dentist and health physician about it. You may be able to get prescription of alternative medicines which wouldn’t cause mouth dryness.
- If you feel the mouth dryness never going away, you can ask your doctor to suggest you saliva substitutes. You may be able to get over-the-counter saliva substitutes.
- Smoking, alcohol and drugs can cause mouth dryness in really bad way. These items are too addictive and it may be too hard for you to avoid them. However, you still need to make sure that you work to avoid these items for your own good. You can find support networks in order to find some help in getting rid of these addictions.
- While you are awake, you need to make sure that you sip water throughout the day. Staying hydrated is the best way to avoid dehydration which can certainly lead to mouth dryness and other serious health disorders.
- You can use mouthwash to keep your mouth fresh but you have to make sure that you are not using a product with alcohol in it. Alcohol in the mouthwash can contribute to mouth dryness.
- You need to find a way to stimulate saliva production in your mouth. Sucking lozenges can be the best way to get this stimulation. However, it is to be ensured that lozenges are sugar free.
You need to visit your dentist regularly. These regular dental visits are important not only to clean your teeth in the office but also to let you know about any potential or existing oral health issue.