Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oslo
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oslo
I hold a PhD in Epidemiology from the Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen. I completed my PhD alongside a consultant position at the Competence Centre for Research and Education in Forensic Psychiatry, Haukeland University Hospital. I also hold an MPhil in Sociology and a BA in Economics from the University of Bergen.
In 2021-2022, I had the privilege of working with Felix Elwert as an Honorary Fellow at University of Wisconsin-Madison. During my stay we worked on quasi-experimental designs with Norwegian administrative data. My PhD included training in epidemiology and causal inference from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and University of Essex.
In my spare time, I enjoy travelling, art, books, and basketball.
Effect of ADHD Medication on Criminality and Injuries: Quasi-Experimental Evidence for Patients on the Margin of Treatment
My PhD examined the effects of ADHD medication on criminality and injuries using preference-based instrumental variables and the extent to which ADHD symptoms, diagnosis, and medication vary geographically. The PhD is available to read and download here, and a norwegian press release summary can be read here.
(11) Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Felix Elwert, Simen Markussen, Henrik Daae Zachrisson, Ingvild Lyhmann, Ashmita Chaulagain, Ingvar Bjelland, Anne Halmøy, Knut Rypdal, Arnstein Mykletun. Effect of ADHD medication on risk of injuries: a preference-based instrumental variable analysis. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
(10) Ashmita Chaulagain, Ingvild Lyhmann, Anne Halmøy, Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Olav Nyttingnes, Ingvar Bjelland, Arnstein Mykletun. A systematic meta-review of systematic reviews on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. European Psychiatry.
(9) Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Henrik Daae Zachrisson, Simen Markussen, Felix Elwert, Ingvild Lyhmann, Ashmita Chaulagain, Anne Halmøy, Ingvar Bjelland, Knut Rypdal, Arnstein Mykletun. Effect of Pharmacological Treatment of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder on Criminality. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
Commentary: Mark A. Stein, Margaret H. Sibley, Jeffrey H. Newcorn. Editorial: Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Stimulant Medication, and Criminality: Commentary and Caution. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
(8) Ingvild Lyhmann, Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Henrik Daae Zachrisson, Ingvar Bjelland, Ashmita Chaulagain, Arnstein Mykletun, Anne Halmøy. Variation in attitudes toward diagnosis and medication of ADHD: a survey among clinicians in the Norwegian child and adolescent mental health services. 2022. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
(7) Tarjei Widding-Havneraas & Henrik Daae Zachrisson. A Gentle Introduction to Instrumental Variables. 2022. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology.
(6) Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Simen Markussen, Felix Elwert, Ingvild Lyhmann, Ingvar Bjelland, Anne Halmøy, Ashmita Chaulagain, Eivind Ystrøm, Arnstein Mykletun, Henrik Daae Zachrisson. Geographical variation in ADHD: do diagnoses reflect symptom levels? 2022. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
(5) Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Ashmita Chaulagain, Ingvild Lyhmann, Henrik Daae Zachrisson, Felix Elwert, Simen Markussen, David McDaid, Arnstein Mykletun. Preference-based instrumental variables in health research rely on important and underreported assumptions: a systematic review. 2021. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology.
(4) Arnstein Mykletun, Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Ashmita Chaulagain, Ingvild Lyhmann, Ingvar Bjelland, Anne Halmøy, Felix Elwert, Peter Butterworth, Simen Markussen, Henrik Daae Zachrisson, Knut Rypdal. Causal modeling of variation in clinical practice and long-term outcomes of ADHD using Norwegian registry data: the ADHD controversy project. 2021. BMJ Open.
(3) Tarjei Widding-Havneraas & Siri Hansen Pedersen. The role of welfare regimes in the relationship between childhood economic stress and adult health: a multilevel study of 20 European countries. 2020. SSM - Population Health.
(2) Beate Brinchmann, Tarjei Widding-Havneraas, Matthew Modini, Miles Rinaldi, Cathrine F. Moe, A-La Park, Eoin Killackey, Samuel B. Harvey, Arnstein Mykletun. A meta-regression of the impact of policy on the efficacy of Individual Placement and Support. 2019. Acta Scandinavica Psychiatrica.
(1) Tarjei Widding-Havneraas. Young adults not in employment, education or training: a register-based study, 1993–2009. 2016. Norwegian Journal of Working Life Studies.
Papers in progress
Genetically informed analyses of education and earnings.
Collaborating on other papers on ADHD and real-life outcomes.
Statistical theory and causality in methods training [Comment]. 2018. sosiologen.no.
Beyond genes and environment [Book review: Conley, D. & Fletcher, J. The Genome Factor: What the Social Genomics Revolution Reveals about Ourselves, Our History, and the Future. Princeton University Press]. 2017. sosiologen.no.
Research Council Norway: “Controversies in Psychiatry: Coercive Measures and Medication” Haukeland University Hospital. Role: Project participant. PI: Arnstein Mykletun, € 985,000, 2021-2026.
Western Norway Regional Health Authority (Helse Vest): Research stay, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA, 2021-2022.
National Research School for Epidemiological Research (EPINOR): Course "Causal Inference in Epidemiology: Recent Methodological Developments", London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK, 2019.
Research Council Norway (FRIPRO): “ADHD Controversy” Haukeland University Hospital. Role: Co-applicant. PI: Arnstein Mykletun, € 1,000,000, 2021-2024.
Western Norway Regional Health Authority (Helse Vest): “Effect of ADHD medication on long-term functional outcomes”. Personal PhD scholarship, € 285,000, 2018-2023.
2022– Society for Epidemiological Research
2021– Royal Statistical Society
2021– International Epidemiological Association
2021– The John Snow Society
2017– The Norwegian Epidemiological Association
2013– The Norwegian Sociological Association