Write letters at home
Ten million letters by mid-October?? That’s a lot – but we can do it, especially if we all commit to writing at least 20 LETTERS A WEEK. Here’s how:
We encourage you to print at home using the instructions below. If you are not up for doing this right now, consider picking letters up or getting them delivered.
1. Sign up to send letters with Vote Forward. They will send an approval email after 12 - 36 hours. If you don’t get a response after 36 hours, check your spam folder. If it’s not there, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you plan to download more than 300 letters now or over time, then after you get approved by Vote Forward, request Super Volunteer Status
2. When you get an approval email from Vote Forward, download and print letters using these instructions.
- Our focus now is on one-page GOTV (Get Out the Vote) letters
- You might also have the opportunity to write multi-page VRBM (Voter Registration by Mail) letters
Note: When you download letters, you are committing to sending them!
3. Gather supplies: Pen with blue ink, stamps, #10 business envelopes, and possibly correction fluid. (While sheltering in place, consider ordering stamps/envelopes online or just get them in a month or so when we're out and about!)
- For ideas on the “I vote in every election because …” sentence, see these examples.
- Review these common mistakes and how to correct them!
5. Important!!! Before you download more letters, go to Vote Forward and move the letters you finished to the Letters You've Prepared column.
6. Store your letters in a safe place; make a calendar reminder to 1) mail them on the date indicated by Vote Forward and 2) then go to Vote Forward and move the letters to the Letters You've Mailed column.
If you need help or more information:
- Review this video (a 10-minute detailed tutorial on registering with and using the Vote Forward website to download/print letters and addresses)
- If you’re still having trouble getting started, click here to request one-on-one help
- See the Vote Forward Help and Support (FAQs for technical troubleshooting for signing in, downloading, printing, etc)
- Do you know someone who is struggling with the Vote Forward website? Download a PDF file of letters and email it to them for printing (along with our writers’ instructions).